Cooker point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folk, can you please advise what is required for a cooker point in a rented flat?

My daughter has just moved into a flat and the cooker is approx4-6mm twin & earth on a 32a MCB behind a 63a RCD.

The cable goes to a std big red switch in trunking then back down the trunking through a kitchen unit - out the side as flying lead direct to the cooker.

Apart from the cable being too short I'm thinking that it should not just be flying lead from the switch and should be some form of termination point.

Before I make a fool of myself with the landlord - how should it be wired?

Sponsored Links
Going down the same trunking is not ideal but adequate for 32A. A 32A supply is generally suitable for domestic cookers up to 15kW.

On a cooker circuit it is quite usual for a 6 mm cable to emerge from the cooker switch and into the back of the cooker. It would seem someone has cut through this cable to take the cooker away.

It is far more desirable to fit a cooker outlet behind the cooker, as the cooker can be disconnected while leaving the wiring in a safe state.

It would be in the interests of the landlord to have one fitted for every time a tenant leaves and a new one comes along.

The outlet should have it's back box flushed into the wall to prevent the cooker sticking out.

I do not recall a reg that says there must be a cooker connection point.

Can you pull a new length of 6mm into the existing cable route?

Sponsored Links
Cheers folks, It seems that's what I am going to have to do - pull a new length through (get the landlord to) - thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back