Cooker connection point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to move a cooker connection point from position x to y. as the last unit is tight to the wall so not room to make the cooker connection.
I have chased the wall out below the original point and can get a new 45amp cable through the existing trunking to the switch but am unsure what needs to be protecting the cable accross the floor and up to the new connection point and would it comply with regs.
Thanks
litl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 415
Sponsored Links
A bit of plastic conduit would be ok in the floor.

BUT there is no need to chase the floor.

Best not to chase the floor really.

Remember you can run concealed cables within 150mm from an internal corner.

Also you can clip cables to the surface of the wall, if kitchen cupboards can hide them.

thanks for that, does that mean I could sink the cable vertically from x to the floor, then clip to the wall near the floor around the corner and up to y?
litl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
Thanks but I would like to avoid any work above the worktop as it has been plastered and with the switch in that position would mean reaching over the hob to switch the power.
litl

Last edited:
thanks for that, does that mean I could sink the cable vertically from x to the floor, then clip to the wall near the floor around the corner and up to y?
litl
No unless surface, the idea is the electric points show where the cable is likely to be. I would leave existing cooker point and take around corner to new point at same level you can put a blank on the existing cooker connection point.

upload_2016-7-2_13-51-50.png
Your problem is crossing the existing socket supply. If you lower both boxes to below socket, or lift socket up to above the cross over point it would be easier.

litl

No, you can run cables 150mm within a corner or below a ceiling, but not 150mm from a floor (assuming there are no accessories to indicate wiring may be there.

You can however run a cable between the two connection units IF they are LEVEL (in-line), and the cable goes round the corner.

You would have to change the height of either the new or the old connection unit to make things comply.

At the 'old' connection unit you could fit a single blank plate. Common sense would be to run the cable straight through the 'old' box, rather than an unnecessary joint.

I intended running the new cable right through the box but would have to sink the cover plate flush or the last base unit would not go in.
Would the cable being surface mounted around the conrner and up to the new connection point not show the presence of a cable or cant i surface mount it that low?
There is no cooker in the second unit from the right at the moment but I want to provide for one in the future incase we get to infirm to light the rayburn.
lit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Despite what others have said, then YES, you can do that.
Cable at floor level is visible, so irrelevant whether it is in a suitable zone or not.
The vertical parts are both directly in line below an accessory, so are in the approved zone and can be concealed in the wall.
Could even go directly across the floor as below - the point is that the floor cable is on the surface and therefore visible.

cableroute.jpg

litl

No, you can run cables 150mm within a corner or below a ceiling, but not 150mm from a floor (assuming there are no accessories to indicate wiring may be there.

You can however run a cable between the two connection units IF they are LEVEL (in-line), and the cable goes round the corner.

You would have to change the height of either the new or the old connection unit to make things comply.

At the 'old' connection unit you could fit a single blank plate. Common sense would be to run the cable straight through the 'old' box, rather than an unnecessary joint.

APOLOGIES - Did not notice the bit about clipping the cable yo the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back