Cooker point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just joined and so much info on here! Moved into a 30's house, the cooker point is directly above the cooker, not ideal. Iwant to leave or replace the cooker (elec) in the same position. My question/s, can i move the point (double switch with socket outlet) to one side without a subsequent inspection. Is it feasable to spur off the back for a cooker hood supply point ideally channelled into the wall. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
can i move the point (double switch with socket outlet) to one side without a subsequent inspection.
Yes but you must be aware that cables can only be concealed in runs that are horizontally or vertically from accessories so you should not 'hide' the present position if that means they no longer are.
A blank plate would do if that is acceptable.

Is it feasable to spur off the back for a cooker hood supply point ideally channelled into the wall.
Yes. I think it is a good idea so that in an emergency everything can be switched off at once.

Welcome!
Moved into a 30's house, the cooker point is directly above the cooker, not ideal. Iwant to leave or replace the cooker (elec) in the same position. My question/s, can i move the point (double switch with socket outlet) to one side without a subsequent inspection.

No, if the cable will be channelled into the wall and covered over.

You need to get into the ceiling void and re-route the cooker cable vertically down the wall to the new switch position.

Is it feasible to spur off the back for a cooker hood supply point ideally channelled into the wall. Thanks in advance.

It is feasible, but it depends on
1. What wiring is already in the feed side of the existing hood supply point.
2. What is the spur going to power? Under-cupboard lights, induction hob, engine hoist, ???

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. Think you mis-read or maybe i wasnt clear. I was intending to re-route cooker point supply to a suitable position via the cavity , not channelled.
2nd question was can i spur off the back of the cooker socket and channel it to a position where i can plug in a cooker hood. Mind you, as i have a 150mm hole for ducting i could prob use cavity for this as well if feasable.
Thanks.
I do have an engine hoist but its manual :)

Cables do not go in cavities.
Cavity wall insulation goes in there.
Also, foreign items (like cables) can bridge the cavity and cause damp.

The cooker circuit is dedicated to the cooker. Practically, how would you plan engineer a spur from that? It would have to be run in the same csa cable as the cooker circuit. 6mm² or 10mm².
Alternatively - you could run a (fused) spur from a ring final, or power the cooker hood from a lighting circuit.

The cooker circuit is dedicated to the cooker.
No it isn't.

Practically, how would you plan engineer a spur from that?
Simples. FCU next to cooker switch or -

It would have to be run in the same csa cable as the cooker circuit. 6mm² or 10mm².

I think it's a good idea. It saves sucking a chip fan fire through the hood while panicking to find the second switch.

Ok, the plot thickens :( Having released the recessed cooker point (it has to be moved) the cable runs the wrong way to re-position as it will be too short. Its either ceiling down or boards up above which is boxed and tiled where i need to look. Am i right in thinking i read somewhere on here that the cable cannot be extended? Not talking about connecter blocks, junction box etc but making a solid joint, soldering etc....I realise i'm into a qualified leccy now but would like your input/experience problem solving and also not to be ripped off. Oh, and i counted 4 cables in the cavity just at that point ;) Thanks for your inputs.

The cable cores could be crimped to lengthen them, and then heat shrunk. It its loose behind the kitchen units and so visible when you look behind, that's acceptable.

I think you could do that yourself, as its just extending a single cable....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back