Cooker socket not lighting up, no power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have an electric hob and electric oven. I turned on the hob and it tripped the breaker, so I reset it. I tried again and now the cooker socket unit does not light up at all. There is no light or power either on the cooker switch or on the 13A socket next to it.

I tried replacing the cooker socket unit but it was the same there was no power.

If the hob is dead would that stop power to the cooker socket?

Any help appreciated x

Sponsored Links
Hi, are you sure that you have reset the breaker properly ? Some require you to push the breaker fully down and then back up ? It is possible that the you have a loose connection at the breaker, but I would advise you to get an electrician to check don't open the CU unless you are confident about it and the power is switched off at the main switch.

Ps, a picture of the "cooker switch" if you can please.

Regards,

DS

It would do if the circuits are connected to the same circuit.

So the power tripped and what device tripped out that you reset?
Is this circuit also covered by an RCD at the board? They generally have test button and require resetting when tripped.

Also how are the connections made behind the appliances?
Any fused connection in the circuit?

When you replaced the cooker control unit, did you test for voltage at any point?

Sponsored Links
So the electric hob is what caused the trip and there is a cooker breaker at the board. I obviously did try reset the breaker a good few times. The circuit is also covered by and RCD and I reset that a few times to be sure as well.

I didn't to any voltage testing. I'm not that advanced and I'm partially blonde lol.

No signs of any scorching when I took the cooker control unit off.

It would do if the circuits are connected to the same circuit.

So the power tripped and what device tripped out that you reset?
Is this circuit also covered by an RCD at the board? They generally have test button and require resetting when tripped.

Also how are the connections made behind the appliances?
Any fused connection in the circuit?

When you replaced the cooker control unit, did you test for voltage at any point?

It's just one of these standard units. Nothing lights up basically, there is no power coming through.

Hi, are you sure that you have reset the breaker properly ? Some require you to push the breaker fully down and then back up ? It is possible that the you have a loose connection at the breaker, but I would advise you to get an electrician to check don't open the CU unless you are confident about is and the power is switch off at the main switch.

Ps, a picture of the "cooker switch" if you can please.

Regards,

DS

Well for safety reason, you must always test for voltage, prior to replacing any electrical accessory plates.

With out the means for testing, it is going to very difficult to diagnose you fault. Could be number of things from faulty/damaged devices at the consumer unit to loose connection somewhere on the circuit.

You would check fuses, check voltage, check continuity. Without test equipment, it be impossible for you to to the majority of these checks safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back