Cooker Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wondering if anyone can give me some advice please.

In my kitchen I have a cooker switch with a plug socket which I believe is on a dedicated circuit. If I test it with a Voltage Tester it read all correct as it should. Now if I turn off the Mcb on the CU which is labeled "Cooker" it still shows a Voltage of 3.

On the CU there is another mcb which is labeled "Sockets" which is powering the washing, dishwasher, hob, and hood on a plate with 4 switches and 4 fuses altogether and also a separate switch with a fuse powering the fridge.

If I turn this off there is no Voltage to the Cooker Switch/Socket.

I want to know if this is normal or not please?

I have attached some photos if that helps at all.

Thank you in advance :)
20230426_150100_0000.png
20230426_145859_0000.png

Sponsored Links
The cables are probably running in close proximity causing an induced voltage, nothing to worry about.

Yes tried it with cooker on, sockets off and is exactly the same as cooker on, sockets on with normal reading

Sponsored Links
The meter indicating 3 Volts is almost certainly due to capacitive coupling from the 230 Volts on the socket cables to the cables supplying the cooker outlet.

This capacitive coupling can allow a very small current to occur in a conductor that is not connected to anything other than a high impedance test meter.

What happens if you turn ON something in the cooker with the cooker MCB switched OFF and the socket MCB switched ON?

What happens if you turn ON something in the cooker with the cooker MCB switched OFF and the socket MCB switched ON?
Unfortunately I don't have the oven connected at the moment but from what I remember when the cooker mcb is switched off and socket MCB on the oven did not work.

Just realised do you mean whether the 3 volts is still showing with the oven on but cooker mcb turned off and sockets on?

You mean the socket circuit is showing 245-246 when off???

I know you don't mean that so it can't be the same as cooker on and sockets on.
The Cooker circuit is showing 245 - 246 when cooker on, sockets off.

Are you asking me to test the sockets circuit when cooker on, sockets off as I didn't get that from your initial response?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back