Cooker supply. Should I replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new (to us) house 3 weeks ago and just got round to seeing which each of the fuses in the consumer unit relate to.
Anyway the electric cooker is fed from a 30 amp fuse using 6mm cable. Cable run just shy of 10m in length.
I currently have the floor up in between cu and kitchen and wondering whether it would be prudent to install a 10mm cable while I have the chance and leave a tail at both ends for future connection or would my current setup suffice??
I need to get someone in to change the cu when I get round to it so could get them to connect to a new fuse then

Thanks

Sponsored Links
would my current setup suffice??
It is hard to know. you have not told us what the power requirements are for the cooker!

I guess by "cooker" you mean one box that has an oven and a hob all in one?
Or do you mean an oven.....anyway, what's the rating of the device? Or what are the planned power needs, if you are thinking ahead.

30 A should be adequate for all normal domestic cooking. Only if you are planning a luxury kitchen or running a B&B with lots of ovens, induction hobs, etc is that likely to be exceeded.

You might be better putting in a couple of lengths of 2.5mm to suitable locations so you can have a separate kitchen/utility room ring in future - the tumble dryer is a bit of a basterd load-wise.

Hi sorry for lack of info on that front. It is a double oven. Gas hob separate.
We will be replacing the oven at some point in the future but obviously don't know which one yet as it's a little way off. Just thinking ahead to cover any type of oven we buy.
The current oven is an AEG double oven. There's a sticker inside which says wattage 5.0 - 5.4 kW

Sponsored Links
30 A should be adequate for all normal domestic cooking. Only if you are planning a luxury kitchen or running a B&B with lots of ovens, induction hobs, etc is that likely to be exceeded.

You might be better putting in a couple of lengths of 2.5mm to suitable locations so you can have a separate kitchen/utility room ring in future - the tumble dryer is a bit of a basterd load-wise.

Kitchen, utility and garage are all on one fuse separate from the rest of the house.
I'm going to run 2 2.5mm into garage so that can be on its own.
The rest of the house is on one fuse (socket wise) which is annoying but can live with that I guess

30A will be adequate.
You only have 6mm² cable because of the derating associated with rewirable fuses otherwise 4mm² would do.

Were you to replace the Consumer Unit and use MCBs you could have a 45A MCB on the 6mm² with which you could run up to 30kW of cooking appliances .
You will never require larger than 6mm² cable.

30A will be adequate.
You only have 6mm² cable because of the derating associated with rewirable fuses otherwise 4mm² would do.

Were you to replace the Consumer Unit and use MCBs you could have a 45A MCB on the 6mm² with which you could run up to 30kW of cooking appliances .
30A will be adequate.

That's good to know thank you. Thanks all for your quick responses

Running two 2.5mm2 cables for the garage MAY not be the best solution.

What type of loads are you planning on having in there?

Is the garage de-tached?

Garage is attached. It's just for general use. Battery chargers, radio, pressure washer etc. Certainly nothing industrial like welders etc

A 2.5 radial (one cable) sounds like plenty for the things you've mentioned

Ah OK hadn't really thought of that. Would that require a 20a in the cu?

This is all future planning really while I've got floors up / ceilings down.

Ideally I'd like upstairs and downstairs on separate circuits but I guess that's a rewire job if they're all on the same one now?

Ideally I'd like upstairs and downstairs on separate circuits but I guess that's a rewire job if they're all on the same one now?

2.5mm is 20A radial.
You can split your existing ring into two (although not necessarily up and down) if you run 2 cables to the mid-point and split the ring there using the new cables to return to the CU. It's unlikely to be necessary though. With the exception of the kitchen/utility most houses are lightly loaded on power, assuming no electric heating in use.

2.5mm is 20A radial.
You can split your existing ring into two (although not necessarily up and down) if you run 2 cables to the mid-point and split the ring there using the new cables to return to the CU. It's unlikely to be necessary though. With the exception of the kitchen/utility most houses are lightly loaded on power, assuming no electric heating in use.

Tbh it will be fine as it is but just to appease the ocd side of me would have been nice to have them split!

Again thanks all for your input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back