cooker switch tripping the power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi the other day all my power went off so i went to inspect what had happened and the trip switch for the cooker was down so i switched the power back on and left it down and the power came on fine so i tried putting the switch back up and it tripped the power straight off so i tried turning the cooker switch in the kitchen and the plug switch which is on it off and then went and tried putting the trip switch back up but it still trips out the power can anyone tell me what the problem might be :eek:

Sponsored Links
Which breaker was tripping?

If as you say you lost all power sounds like RCD has tripped.
Was it the breaker with a test button on it?
If it was then there is an earth fault in the cooker/cooker circuit so do not use it until it has been checked out. Cookers can and often do trip RCDs.
If it is the MCB for the cooker circuit then there could be a short circuit which will need investigating.

the mcb for the cooker has tripped and i cant turn it back on with out it tripping out the rcd

Sponsored Links
You have a significant electrical fault. Might be cable damage, e.g. if mice have gnawed it, or if someone has driven a nail into a wall, or if the cooker has been pulled out for cleaning and pushed back trapping the cable underneath.

You could start by turning off the big cooker switch in the kitchen, and seeing if that enables you to turn on the MCB without tripping the RCD. If it does, then the fault is on the cooker or its cable, so address it as an Appliance fault. If not, the fault is between the consumer unit and the cooker switch so address it as a Wiring installation fault.

If the fault is at the cooker end make sure all the rings and oven are turned off and see if that helps. If so, you can isolate the fault to one part of the cooker. In that case, unless it is the Oven heating element (which often goes wrong and is reasonably easy to change) I would be inclined to call in an appliance engineer.

BTW as cookers often have a certain amount of minor earth leakage, it is usually considered good practice to have the cooker circuit on the non-RCD side of the CU. This decision is easier if the cooker switch is one without a socket.

It could be that there's moisture in the cooker control unit, always a possibility if it's near boiling pans - I'd check that first if the trip still operates with the CCU off

You might just have a dicky kettle or whatever is plugged into the CCU. You say you turned off the cooker switch and the socket switch, but did you unplug?

If the switch is SP, the neutral will still be connected. Try switching off the cooker switch and unplugging the plug from the CCU. Will it reset now?

So if the RCD won't reset, there is an earth fault. So try disconnecting all loads to see it it will reset.

Am I being mega-dumb here & missing something? :LOL:

securespark said:
...If the switch is SP, the neutral will still be connected. Try switching off the cooker switch and unplugging the plug from the CCU. Will it reset now?

But as it will reset if the MCB is off, it must be P/E

i took the cooker switch off completey and tried turning it back on and it still trips the rcd

i have laminate flooring all through the down stairs of my house is there anyway of connecting a new cable without taking up the flooring

Only way would be to use surface trunking all the way from the cu to your cooker switch, then disconnect and make safe the old cable at each end. Not very pleasing to the eye but if its done neatly you wont even notice it after a few months.

As the new cable would be in trunking you would need to apply suitable de-rating factors also based on the total length. One of the pros on here will be along later to advise you of the exact figures.

Part P would probably come into effect here should you wish to do the work yourself so you will probably be better getting an electrician to do it for you. Ask your friends and family if they can suggest a good local electrician/s and get a few quotes.

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back