Main power switch tripping

Sorry meant to update this sooner but I've been so busy.

The electrician replaced the CU with a plastic one, is that allowed, i thought they had to be metal? Everything seems to be OK since?

Attachments

• IMG_20160704_230256.jpg
    IMG_20160704_230256.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 116
Sponsored Links
Hi, nop. he knows that it should be metal( as of January 2016.) And it does not comply with the 17th edition as there is only one rcd ! Your old unit complied !

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
He is not an electrician.

1. Since the beginning of the year new CUs must be made of non-combustible material - that one is not
2. He has provided you with the worst possible combination. As far as I can see, every one of your circuits not goes through a singhle RCD. This is in contravention of BS7671 (discrimination of circuits). An earth fault on any one of your circuits will trip the RCD and disconnect the power to every other circuit in the house. That is lights, freezer, Stannah Stairlift, defibrulator, everything.

Has he given you an Installation Certificate to say that the work complies with BS7671? He should have. If he has signed it he has LIED.
To do this work, he must be a member of one of the competent person schemes. Which one? Report him to them.

I hope you did not pay him.

EDIT:
\
I did say
first thing any electrician worth his salt will do is to test the existing system. A hard fault like you have will be indicated at the first test!
You did not need a new CU. You needed an electrician to find the fault. I know exactly why he has only given you one RCD and that is because he was unable/unwilling/incapable of finding the original fault. He has lumped everything together and the fault has gone away. errr no it hasn't gone away, it is still there, but the fault that you have won't trip a single RCD.

Last edited:
Hi, nop. he knows that it sound be metal as of January 2016. And it does not comply with the 17 edition as there is only one rcd ! Your old unit complied !

Regards,

DS

1. Since the beginning of the year new CUs must be made of non-combustible material - that one is not
2. He has provided you with the worst possible combination. As far as I can see, every one of your circuits not goes through a singhle RCD. This is in contravention of BS7671 (discrimination of circuits). An earth fault on any one of your circuits will trip the RCD and disconnect the power to every other circuit in the house. That is lights, freezer, Stannah Stairlift, defibrulator, everything.

Has he given you an Installation Certificate to say that the work complies with BS7671? He should have. If he has signed it he has LIED.
To do this work, he must be a member of one of the competent person schemes. Which one? Report him to them.

No nothing was handed over - I was in work my wife dealt with him. On his website he is a member of "electric safe register", "trust mark" and "NAPIT" - can I contact these guys to report him?

Sponsored Links
Hi, you would appear to have one lighting circuit on a 16a mcb :eek:

DS

Hi, nop. he knows that it sound be metal as of January 2016. And it does not comply with the 17 edition as there is only one rcd ! Your old unit complied !

Regards,

DS

No nothing was handed over - I was in work my wife dealt with him. On his website he is a member of "electric safe register", "trust mark" and "NAPIT" - can I contact these guys to report him?

Yes, call them he's a fraud !

DS

I

Regards,

DS

Yes, call them he's a fraud !

DS
I've just searched the Trustmark and NAPIT website and can't find him - I seen these logos on his site and trusted it. I should have checked :(

Not on http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk either.

Using all these logos on his site...

Ok. Call NAPIT with his details. Say he using their logos. Say you selected him because of the NAPIT brand. They take fraud very seriously. The same for Trustmark.
Insist to NAPIT that the job is done properly by somebody. It's their reputation.
People have been slung in jail for this sort of thing.
https://www.napit.org.uk/news/article/napit-help-bring-rogue-to-justice.aspx

http://www.testitelectrical.co.uk/newsite/news/napit-helps-convict-cowboy/

Do tell us u get on.
Thanks, I did choose him because of the NAPIT approval, and others!

I'll keep you posted

Cheers J

No nothing was handed over - I was in work my wife dealt with him.
Well that's one good thing.

Make sure you and she resist any demands for payment.

And don't just report him to the organisations he falsely claims to me a member of - take it to Trading Standards as well, as he is committing fraud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back