problems turning power back on

MTE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did some work today for a customer who had an old wylex cu with rewirable fuses and an indepedant RCD. I turned the power off to change a light fitting and switch then turned the power back on - no problems. I then turned the power off and added a spur socket but when i tried to turn the power back on the main switch just keep tripping but the RDC remained on. I went back and checked all connection were correct and secure which they were. Went back and after the fifth time switching on, it remained on.
I left it for ten minutes then turned power off, again it took about six or seven attempts for the main switch to remain on.
I checked inside the cu and all looked fine and RDC was unaffected. Customer says they never turn the power off so do not know if this has happened before.

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
What exactly was tripping? - main switches are normally just isolators and don't have any trip mechanism.

What exactly was tripping? - main switches are normally just isolators and don't have any trip mechanism.

Thanks for your reply, sorry got my wording wrong, nothing was actually tripping just the main switch would not turn back on - only after numerous attempts would it remain on. It was functioning like a RCD that would not reset and just kept flicking back off. When i pushed it up to the on position it sounded like it was igniting then flicked back off. Yet when i managed to keep it on there was no sound and it was very smooth?

It is beginning to sound like the isolator has a mechanical fault. Would probably be a good idea to upgrade the CU anyway.

Sponsored Links
Just re-read your post. Sounds like a knackered isolator to me. As above...

Thanks for your replies - tried to talk them into an upgrade but were not keen (suprise). I have not replaced this before can I still buy them?

As it is a wylex rewirable fuse type consumer unit the isolator is an integral part of the consumer unit. The only way to replace the isolator is to replace the consumer unit.

This is the crux of my (and others) argurment that getting your electricity supplier to fit an isolator so you can change your CU is pointless, both isolators will have had their day at the same time, as in this case.

Thanks for your replies - tried to talk them into an upgrade but were not keen (suprise).

Not keen, but what are they going to do when in the (near) future, the switch completely fails and they have no power to the whole property?

A planned replacement will be much cheaper and far more convienient than desparately calling someone at random and hoping they can rush out in 10 minutes and replace the CU.

Customer's never used the isolator; you come along, use it and now it doesn't work. You now want over a hundred quid to replace the CU.

How are you going to explain that to the Rogue Trader man?

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back