Power off but all RCBOs and main switch on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We keep losing power to entire installation despite power to the meter. The board is 17th edition with all RCBOs 6 circuits. Power to entire house goes off but nothing trips on the board, all RCBOs still on but test buttons don't operate and main switch still on but no power. Meter shows power and using my Fluke voltage tester I can see there is power at the incoming side of the main switch but nothing at the outgoing side.
Turn off all RCBOs, turn off main switch and turn back on, turn on RCBOs and power restored and all test buttons operate correctly, sometimes its necessary to cycle the main switch a few times to get power.
My thought is that the main switch is faulty and randomly disconnecting despite being in the on position.
As any one come across this type of fault?

Sponsored Links
I have never come across this but if things are as you describe, I would agree with your diagnosis.

Are you measuring actual voltage with a two pole tester or just pointing a thing that lights up at the switch?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone thought to agree the tests performed do indeed point to a faulty main switch, assuming that all leads are correctly terminated.

It did seem to be an issue with 60A main switches in older fuseboxes (particularly MEM ceramic rewirable types) when loads increased.

Well, EFLI said in post #2. "I have never come across this but if things are as you describe, I would agree with your diagnosis." This is why I assumed we had a diagnosis by now.

I had this in my own house a few years back, the consumer unit was already installed when I moved in.

when I moved the first mcb (next to the main switch) there was a burn mark on the main switch , maybe you you have a similar issue?

Smart Meter?
Just a thought that they can disable these things remotely..... and I'd suspect electronics over electrics for the kind of intermittent issue you're seeing everyday.

Ignore that.......... you checked the incoming/outgoing side of the switch in failure............ I'll learn to read honest guv.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back