cooker switch tripping the power

But you said the RCD was tripping.

There is nothing an MCB can do to cause that.

Much more likely you have a damaged cable and it has partially burnt through, perhaps where the live wire was touching the earth wire.

Are you going to cross your fingers and hope for the best?

Sponsored Links
kking183 said:
ok its all working again seems it was only the mcb

A faulty MCB would not be able to trip the RCD so there is most likely still an intermittant fault in the cable.

John beat me to it.

Could be a nail into the cable that is going in and out as the floor moves up and down under varying loads.

or mice gnawing the insulation under the floor

From outside all that was visible was a pin sized hole in the grey sheath from the tip of a screw.

Inside and out of sight the damage was extensive.

The earth conductor was missing about a centimetre.

The black is carbon and copper. When the screw was removed and the RCD reset the lights continued to work but experience was to ignore the fact that the lights were working and replace the cable.

blown_cable_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
the mcb was faulty and there was a earth fault i havent used any nails or screws to anywhere on the floor

kking183 said:
the mcb was faulty and there was a earth fault i havent used any nails or screws to anywhere on the floor
A faulty MCB

An earth fault

Strange to get these two, completely unrelated faults at the same time, no? :confused:

yeh but thats what i was told lol i think the mcb broke when i kept trying to reset it and the cable is still broken so if anyone could tell me around how much it would cost for me to get the cable replaced and what the best option would be other than ripping up my laminate flooring thanks in advance

the cooker tripped out the mcb again today and the rcd well that proves it wasnt fixed i was charged £40 for the mcb to be replaced is that cheap

The RCD still tripping? It's time you got those damaged cables replaced.

No idea.

Get some recommendations of trusted local electricians from friends and neighbours, check that they are members of self-certification schemes, and get some quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back