Cooker Switch

an

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to buy a 45 Amp Switch which will be suitable for a 13 Amp Electric cooker and a 30 Amp Induction hob. I have seen in the shops 45 Amp Switches which also include a socket. Is this necessary or will I be ok just having the 45 Amp switch with neon light.

Ps: I have ample room for sockets on the remainder of the wall?

Many Thanks

an

Sponsored Links
You don't need the socket. Or the neon if you'd rather not. What does your existing switch have?

How do you intend to connect the two appliances to the switch?

Will there be any new fixed cabling?

I have ample room for sockets on the remainder of the wall?
Are you rewiring the kitchen?

The kitchen is to be rewired, by a qualfied electritian, who is unfortunately away on holiday at the minute. The kitchen has been knocked through into a utility room and the cooker is to be moved on to another wall so there is currently no provision in its new location.

We had seen a good offer on chrome plated sockets but did not want to buy the wrong type

Thanks

an

Sponsored Links
I'm so busy at the moment, it seems that all the other sparkies in the country are away on holiday. How do they do it :LOL:

Unfortunately, you need to know how your electrician intends to wire up the new appliances before we can advise you on which switch(es) to buy.

He/she may be using two supplies (a 16A and a 32A) which will require a 20A switch and a 45A switch (which may or may not have a socket on it).

It is not normal to use the 13A socket on a cooker switch to power the oven. Ovens and hobs are normally wired into outlet plates beneath the counter.

Find out how it is being done, then go shopping.

I'm so busy at the moment, it seems that all the other sparkies in the country are away on holiday. How do they do it :LOL:

I have to ask the same question, got too much on to consider a day off :cry:

But I guess at this current time it's better to be busy than struggling.

To th OP, you best wait for your electrician and he will let you know all the specs of any materials. There are a couple of variables here and so any info may not be to your electricians plan.

Most times that a punter has bought materials half of it has to go back as being unsuitable or its cheap cr@p and I won't install it. I insist of providing materials now,

If your electrician is any good he/she will be able to get trade prices and a decent discount. So you won't save money either.//

Once he gets back from holiday, that is.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back