Wiring a Cooker point

Cheers. That's what I thought. It actually states one for 240v and one for 230v. I just noticed it. It still has a max load of over 45A anyway. As you say The chances of using the full load is slim but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sponsored Links
Hate me if you like, but as stated previously, Wylex are still throwing 3036 units out of their Wythenshawe factory as fast as lorries can take them away.

FWL????

securespark said:
Hate me if you like, but as stated previously, Wylex are still throwing 3036 units out of their Wythenshawe factory as fast as lorries can take them away.

FWL????

That may be true, but it does not mean they are selling them in the UK.

There are a couple of Gun manufacturers still in the UK, but they don't sell guns here.

And these in Norfolk make and sell C4 plastic explosive (v. similar to Semtex) - £15 per kilo. Although I think they are careful to whom they sell it.

Sponsored Links
FWL

This is becoming tedious.

Since you refuse to believe that 3036 units are still alive and well in the UK, see tlc's website tlc-direct.co.uk or page 68 of Jan/Feb catalogue.

And they are by no means the only ones.

securespark said:
FWL

This is becoming tedious.

Since you refuse to believe that 3036 units are still alive and well in the UK, see tlc's website tlc-direct.co.uk or page 68 of Jan/Feb catalogue.

And they are by no means the only ones.

OK then, as you insist on commenting on everything I post. PLEASE do the math and tell me the MINIMUM size cable a ring main would need to be wired in for total compliance with BS7671:2001 using the BS3036 semi-enclosed rewirable fuse as the overload protective device.

I have done the math manually and on my design and calculation software, both methods produced the same result.

I did not say NO-ONE makes 3036's did I, but installing them in the UK is not acceptable unless you go to really stupid extremes of wiring OK. Incidently, did you question as to why ONLY Wylex make these things?

Spoke to the NIC today and threw this question to them.......They said as long as its mechanically & electrically sound, they have no concerns and will be sending me some more info over.....

FWL, using single cable calc I get it to 4.0mm but I would leave the Wylex board in.......worst case throw a 32 MCB be in...

I know you said to BS7671 but every one has there personal opinions..... ;)

paulh53 said:
Minimum Is 4mm2 On a 32a Ring Circuit :evil:

Actually if you do the math for FULL compliance, the mimimum is actually 6mm2.

I am not surprised by the reaction of the NICEIC on this, as they are consistantly at odds themselves over the same point. I have also asked this question of both the ECA and the IEE.

The ECA stated that they would
"prefer to see the use of rewireable fuses banned as they feel they present a tangible and real potential hazard to electrical safety as they are so easy to abuse and electromechanical devices such as MCB's and MCCB's present a significant improvement in circuit, and thus user safety"

The IEE Technical Guys were a bit more vague on the issue, accepting there is ambiguity over the whole subject, with some still being installed. They stated that the IEE does not have the mandate anymore to ban the use of electrical equipment and accessories without the agreement of the BSi, and they do not see this being likely. They accept that even within the IEE there is disagreement as to the position of BS3036 fuses, some wanting to press for a ban, some happy with the status quo, some apparently happy to not "rock the boat".

I was very happy to hear the reaponse of the ECA on this, however the IEE position came as no real surprise as they could not make their mind up in a brothel with a wad of £50 notes and only one girl!!

What our discussion has proved is the following.

1: I was wrong about them being banned, regardless of how the banning seemed to be occuring.

2: The NICEIC don't seem to care.

3: The ECA want them banned..basically for the very reasons I actually believed to have been banned for!!

4:The IEE are as decisive on this issue as they are on everything else, only this time they are blaming the BSi rather than their own indicision.

5: The matter is confused as all of my Guys, employed or subby also believed BS3036 fuses were banned from being installed..and I don't recall having this discussion with any of them before for my opinion to have swayed them. I have also spoken to contractors I know, similar sized companies...these also believed them to have been ostensibly banned in idea rather than explicit instructions (as one put it)

I will finish this post with the following comment. I will never install or design an installation with BS3036 semi-enclosed rewirable fuses as the overload protective device. If spec'ed by another Engineer, I would not quote for the work if they were not prepared to accept MCB alternatives.

This is my personal opinion, but after speaking to my Guys over the last two days, I feel they are of a similar mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back