cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a 30 amp cooker wired in 2.5mm cable reference method A with 30 AMP mcb.

applying diversity to the 30 A COOKER - 16A

i reckon the mcb is too large , what ya reckon fellas

Sponsored Links
thx for the reply spark,couldnt agree more, this has always been like this ,could you put a 20 amp mcb in or does the cable definately need changing.

What's the rating of the cooker? Is there a socket?
I tend to take diversity with a pinch of salt :LOL:
A 16A MCB with 30A being pulled through it probably won't hold in for long.
20A a bit longer.
Diversity takes into account not everything will be on at once but doesn't account for cold Xmas turkey :LOL:

Sponsored Links
says 30 amp, no power number, replacing the cable would be a major problem,i agree with u as far as the diversity but i just really want

IB<IN<IZ SO THAT THE CABLES PROTECTED

what u reckon spark

Whats the point of coming here if you're just going to question the advice you have been given, just because it doesn't suit what you wanted to hear?

Personal opinion is that a 20A breaker is too small for it and it mighf nuisance trip.

not questioning it , according to the figures ive given , when applying diversity is IB<IN<IZ , im new to this and i was taught that you apply diversity when working out cooker circuits to get you design current, mcb rating and cable current carrying capacities , dont get you nickers in a twist . I know the cable could do with changing, i just want to ensure the one ive got is going to be safe.

At the moment there is a possibility of overloading the cable as design current < fuse size < cable rating as installed thing isn't fulfilled.
When working out max demand by all means use diversity across all circuits, it just seems to me at times you can end up with a rediculously small figure if you use the OSG and need to apply common sense a bit.
Personally I think a 20A MCB for a 30A item might be problematic so I wouldn't do it, someone else might say it is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back