Cooker Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have another question regarding the new electrics being installed in our new kitchen.

I see you can get two different formats of 45A cooker switch, a 1 gang square or a 2 gang vertical format. They both appear to have the same spec except the larger one has a neon indicator so I assume either one can be used.

What are the pro's and con's of each. The smaller of the two would look better as it will keep the neat line of the sockets and switches above the countertop nut if it would be better to have the larger one then so be it.

Also, I'm assuming that both of these would need a 47mm back box.

Russell

Sponsored Links
It's simple choice and obviously one indicates on via a neon.

Since cookers need to be on to keep the clock function some might think a big feck off neon glowing in the dark isn't right. Let's be far you know a cooker is on via the clock and control panel LED's, so there's no need for a neon.

The small one will be a bit more painfull regarding terminating a 10mm cable and both are better in deep back boxes for ease of wire positioning.

It is only 6mm cable being used so that will make it a bit easier.

Personally I agree with you on the neon light and I would rather not have one. I would rather have the smaller of the two so that it is the same height as the sockets and other switches above the countertop and it will look a lot nicer. It will also keep the "management" happy (if you see what I mean).

The 6mm T&E cable still seems reasonably flexible so I don't think it would be too much of a problem. I do agree that 10mm would be an issue though.

Russell

Since cookers need to be on to keep the clock function some might think a big f**k off neon glowing in the dark isn't right. Let's be far you know a cooker is on via the clock and control panel LED's, so there's no need for a neon.
Not all cookers have clocks or control panel LEDs...

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the fact that it is a big red switch with the word "ON" in white give a reasonable indication that it is in fact on.

VLXC45SB.jpg

If it's wired right and not dark!
That's a fair point.

Just one other thing. I am currently sinking the boxes in the walls ready for the plasterer to plaster the walls and then the electrician to come in and wire up. I have the cooker cable coming straight up from under the floor vertically to the cooker switch and then I need to feed a cable from the switch to the CCU. Is it ok to run the cable horizontally between the two through 20mm oval plastic conduit buried in the wall. The CCU is about 10 inches away from the switch.

Russell

By CCU do you mean the cooker outlet?

Cooker connection unit maybe?

I think you mean the cooker outlet.

I imagine if you want to run a cable horizontally from the switch to the outlet then you must have an oven that sits in a cupboard housing a few feet up from the floor.

Sounds all ok.

Make sure to use 35 or 47 mm deep boxes for the cooker circuit, your electrician will appreciate it.

Not all manufacturers make a cooker switch to fit a single box.

A double box would allow you the option to fit a cooker panel with socket in the future. Contactum I think make them now to fit a vertical double box.

You need to feed a cable from the switch to the CCU (cooker control unit)
Why do you need a switch then?
The CCU will act as an isolator!
Permitted safe zones,
link:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my mistake. It's the 45A cooker outlet I was referring to which will be hidden behind the built in oven. :oops:

My apologies.

Thanks for the link by the way, that is very useful. I did do a Google search for the information and found a Wikipedia article saying the same thing. However, I don't always trust what Wikipedia says whereas I do trust the info on this forum.

Many thanks.

The link shows the permitted safe zones and how best to route cables, they comply to the current requirements.
So if the cooker outlet is within those zones between the CCU switch and the outlet plate, whether it be vertical or horizontal it is allowed.
So is the cooker raised from the floor then in larder or midi type cabinet?
As the outlet plate would normally be behind the appliance.

Yes, it will be an eye level double oven built into a tall larder type unit with a microwave above it. The microwave however will not be on the cooker circuit but on the ring main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back