'Cooker switches' are not actually mandatory – is this true?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just read on another thread “'Cooker switches' are not actually mandatory”, I had always thought they were.

However for some reason if you have a gas hob you don’t seem to have to be able to turn off the gas to the hob from anywhere apart from the gas meter.

What about switches for electric showers?

Also why do you get switches for washing machines etc above the working surface that just turns of a socket in the cupboard next to the washing machine – I can’t think of any practical reason way the washing machine can’t just be unplugged if it needs to be isolated.

Sponsored Links
There is no mandatory requirement for local isolation other than if manufacturer's instructions state it. However it is much more convenient and secure to isolate nearby when working on an appliance than remotely at the consumer unit (which is acceptable)
Also on a TT system, turning off the main switch to achieve DP isolation (which you need as the neutral can be several volts difference to earth) is also inconvenient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back