Cooker thermostat tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are plenty of discussions on this already, nearly all point to replacing the heating element, however this is slightly different.

A Caple CR7200 cooker has a normal oven and a top oven/grill. It all works fine until the top oven reaches the required temperature and the RCD trips. If we wack the top over up to max then no RCD trip. The RCD only trips when the top oven reaches the appropriate temperature and never ever when cooking on max.

So my first thought is to replace the thermostat, which seems straight forward.

However, on second thought isn't the thermostat just sending a signal to a switch and isn't it that switch that's the problem, or is all that part of the thermostat?

Appreciate any informed comments before I rush out to buy a thermostat.

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
It does sound like the thermostat. The thermostat consists of the temperature control on the fascia, a temperature probe and a capillary tube linking the two. When the probe heats up, a fluid inside it expands and pressurises the fluid in the capillary, thus causing a movement in the control, which switches a switch. The temperature dial varies the sensitivity of this switching arrangement by applying a pre-load. If something has come out of alignment inside the thermostat, part of it might be touching the metal casing when it gets to temperature and the contacts open.
You often need to do quite a lot of dismantling to change the thermostat, depending on the routing of the capillary.

Thanks. Will give it a go and report back! May take me a few weeks to source part and find the time.

Sponsored Links
I've got the back off ok and can see the thermostat. Just struggling to get either the top or the front off. Any one any clues with the caple 7200. Thought it would be as simple as release the back and tap it forward like every other appliance, but either that tap needs to be a bit more aggressive or another method. Any thoughts or experience anyone?

I've undone all the screws I can find under the front panel having removed the top oven door and it wont budge. All knobs removed. Its overlapped by the sides and the top, so its looks like slide forward or down, but it looks likes there are some screws down into it from above so needs the top off.

The top seems to be connected to the sides and despite underdoing loads of screws in the sides and top I cant shif the top to get to the screws for the front panel.

Spent 2 or 3 hours and its now all back as it was..... but brand new thermostat still in my hand!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back