Cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm fiitting a new kitchen and thought I'd take the opportunity to move the cooker socket into a more practical position in the process.

Currently the cooker is wired to a plug which is plugged into the socket of a Cooker Control Unit. I have read that ideally the cooker should be wired to a Terminal Outlet Box which then goes to the Cooker Control Unit. Please see the diagram - this shows the wiring how it is now and what I propose to do. Is this correct?

Cooker_Wiring.jpg

Also, as you'll see from the diagram, there is another socket on the same circuit. However the new Control Unit I have only has supply in and cooker terminals...is it still possible to continue this circuit to the other socket?

Thanks for your time

Dan Hope

Sponsored Links
nope, not correct..

the cooker will not ( or at least should not ) be on a ring main..

it should be on it's own 6mm² or 10mm² radial on asuitably sized breaker or fuse.

there also should not be any extra sockets on a cooker circuit.. ( one on the cooker switch is allowed as long as it's accounted for in the calculations )

Thanks for the reply ColJack.

I was assuming it was a ring but it is probably, as you say, a radial - I'll investigate some more. It is 10mm though.

The socket is definitely on the same line - the fuse for the oven cuts the socket too. It's not a wholly electric oven, a gas oven with electric grill. The second socket is a 2GANG double pole.

Assuming it's not a ring, is it possible for me to connect the terminal outlet box in the same way as in the diagram?

Thanks for the reply ColJack.

I was assuming it was a ring but it is probably, as you say, a radial - I'll investigate some more. It is 10mm though.

How are you measuring that 10mm²? It refers to the cross sectional area of the copper conductor, not the width of the cable sheath.

Sponsored Links
can you be more specific on what your definition of a "cooker" is?

you say it's a gas oven with electric grill? what about the hob?

and assuming the circuit is right, then yes you can put a cooker outlet plate off the load side of the switch..

please read up in the WIKI about part p, and about safe zones..

Hello

THe hob is gas too. Just the grill is electric with the following information:

Grill kW. 1,8
V-240Hz-50 Amp.Max. 7,5

So would it be acceptable to wire the Cooker Control Unit like this:
Control_Unit.jpg

Oven = heated box where cakes and pies can be cooked.
Hob = flat horizontal item at worktop height where several pans can be heated.
Cooker = all in one unit with hob on top and oven underneath.

So would it be acceptable to wire the Cooker Control Unit like this:
Control_Unit.jpg
I doubt that the CCU is designed to have 2 cables in the supply terminals.

Use a twin outlet plate and connect the socket for the oven to one set of terminals.

pr2173.jpg
pr2172.jpg

it's not a socket for the oven, it's a seperate double socket above the counter... or at least that's how I read it..

HIS APPLIANCE CAN BE CONNECTED TO A 13 AMP PLUG!

Caps intentional to stand out.

The appliance is rated at 1.8kw, 7.5 amps.

Whatever the CCU is connected to, replace it with a double socket outlet. You can spur off this to a single socket to plug your cooker into. This should be accessible for isolation, if not, supply it via a 20 amp switch.

Whatever the CCU is connected to, replace it with a double socket outlet. You can spur off this to a single socket to plug your cooker into.
If you've replaced the outlet plate with a socket, why not plug the cooker into that?

This should be accessible for isolation, if not, supply it via a 20 amp switch.
The CCU will isolate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back