Cooker wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Above my cooker I have the cooker isolation switch, with another switch and plug socket. There is a strip of plastic cover running down the wall with the wire in, then it connects to the cooker.

It has been there since we moved in, nearly 10 years ago.

Every time someone comes around who knows what they are talking about, we always get the comment “ohhhhh that shouldn’t be there”.

I’ve had a look on google and as I understood it, any switches should be at least 30cm to the side of the cooker. Although it doesn’t meet current building regs, should this switch course a problem if I can to sell the house?

Thanks
Dan.

Sponsored Links
Having a switch is not mandatory under the electrical regulations so there are no regulations as to where it might be.

The 30cm. to the side is a recommendation.

However, above the cooker, especially one with a socket, is not very wise.

As to selling the house, say you have reduce the price by £500 to allow for it to be moved.

Would you refuse your dream house because the cooker switch is in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Worst case scenario, I suppose the switch could be changed to switch only and do away with the socket.

I don’t plan on moving just yet, but it’s nice to know it’s not a job that needs doing.

Sponsored Links
Even a switch should not be above a cooker.

They were often fitted there back in the days of all enclosed cookers where the hob was overhung by the grill. But not these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back