CookerHood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got an electrician to give me a quote on the installation of a cookerhood.

He said the best way to install it would be to tap into the wiring for the socket nearby and then run a cable from there to the hood.

Here is a diagram

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cookerhoodwiring2zx5.jpg

I was just wondering if this is the correct way of having the cookerhood installed?

Sponsored Links
* what does he plan to use for that junction?
* what do the cooker hood instructions say about overcurrent protection of the supply and how does he plan to provide overcurrent protection?

Thanks for the reply.

I have a BT6.3GL 60cm Glass chimney hood.
I've checked the manual and it doesn't say what overcurrent protection to have.
I have contacted Baumatic for further details in this regard.

He didn't say anything about overcurrent protection.
He didn't specify the type of junction he would be using, what would be the right one in this case?

I was informed on another forum that the way he was wiring it up didn't follow safe zones?
Is this true?
I was also told that I should consider ali-tube cable because of heat.

I am currently waiting for a response from Baumatic and will post the information when I receive it.

Just got a reply from Baumatic.

The appliance requires a 3amp fuse spur for the electrical connection. The
appliance is double insulated so further grounding is not required.

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you are in Ireland, to comply with Irish wiring regulations as per the ET101:2004 (And amendments) the hood should be connected as follows:

Option (1)

You can connect the hood using a plug and socket. The socket can be installed near the hood in a location where it can be accessed i.e. you can't cover it over with kitchen cabinets. However, you can install it in a cupboard.

The plug should be a standard IS401 (BS1363) 3-pin 13-amp plug carrying a fuse appropriate to the particular hood you have installed.

Option (2)

You can connect the hood via a fused switched appliance connector unit connected to a normal socket circuit (i.e. typically a 16 or 20amp radial in Ireland).

The fused spur should be protected with an appropriately rated fuse for the appliance e.g. a 3amp fuse in this case.

The appliance circuit supplying the appliance must be protected by at maximum a 30mA RCD regardless of which way it's connected.

Those are the only two options that should be used, wiring the appliance directly to the back of a socket is illegal under Irish regs.

For neatness of installation I'd go with the fused spur option.

More than likely, your electrician would indeed 'tap' into a socket circuit but he will connect the appliance via a fused spur, not just directly into the back of the socket without local over current protection. I think that is the junction that is depicted in the diagram you linked.

Also, he will have to run an earth to the connection point anyway, even if the appliance is double insulated. So, he'll just use standard 3-core cable.

Irish wiring's a little different to the UK in so far as we tend to use 16 and 20amp radial socket circuits rather than the 32amp rings that are common in the UK, but very similar rules apply for connecting fixed appliances. They have to be locally fused and have an isolation switch, otherwise they need to be connected via a plug and socket.

Aluminium tube wiring is used in the USA (required by some states only) because of the type of construction they use in their homes i.e. they use wood. It is highly prone to fire. Irish, British and most European construction uses plaster and concrete. Electrical wiring is typically buried in ducting in the plaster. This is extremely fire-resistant.

Also, the use of higher voltages in Europe tends to mean that wires run less risk of over-heating. (Ohms law). 110V circuits overload much more easily and run very hot if they do.
It also means that relatively low powered circuits in the US and Canada require much bulkier wiring than their counterparts in Europe or other 230V countries.

Anyway, aluminium tube wiring is not required for your cooker hood in Ireland.

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I'll be getting in another electrician in for a quote soon so I will discuss this with him further.

Back