Cope or mitre internal skirting corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install white chamfered skirting in a bedroom. I’ve seen videos describing coped corners as well as a mitred cut once you’ve established the corner angle.

I have a mitre saw and a bevel (and coping saw!). My corners are definitely not 90 degrees.

I’ve never done skirting before. Can you suggest an approach please.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I mentioned that I’ve seen several videos. Interested in your views as it’s a first for me. I also have a bevel and mitre saw and wondering if the non-coped version may be more suitable on this occasion?

Cope or mitre internal skirting corners?
Neither. Unless they are square edge MDF you should always scribe them - with a coping saw.......

inst scribe the method that involves the coping saw to cut out the "curved" part of the skirting?

It's just different terminology - "coping" is an Americanism whereas "scribing" (scribed joint) is what a British carpenter would call it. In point of fact the easiest way to proceed is to start with a bevel cut, highlight the front edge with a pencil rubbed at the edge, then saw the straight bit with a slight undercut (chop saw, panel saw, tenon saw - whatever floats your boat) and finish the top profile with a coping saw (again with a slight undercut). If the end is offered up to the installed skirting at that point it should be possible to see what adjustments are required because you can bet your bottom dollar that whatever you're butting up to is either out of plumb or cupped in some way, possibly both (even if just ever so slightly). Which often makes minor adjustment a must - and is why you do the scribes before doing the mitres (outside corners)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just doing some at the mo

Attachments

• D2504946-672A-468B-9185-1B99C2EECF1C.jpeg
    D2504946-672A-468B-9185-1B99C2EECF1C.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 290
With the fine gaps, where the boards meet (and also the architrave), do I use caulk before I paint or is wood filler preferable?

I know, but trying my best!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back