Copper cylinder scrap value?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone recently weighed in a copper cylinder or have an idea of what I'd get scrap value? Have all copper pipes from 3 bed semi aswell.

Or can it be sold on?

It's Newark Copper Cylinder, 825/450, grade 3, 106 litres not sure how old

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I believe scrap copper is in the region of £6/kg at the mo.
That's why all us conscientious plumbers/gas engineers make quite an effort to ensure that any waste copper or brass from jobs is put aside for recycling.:D

:D think I'll have to be conscientious aswell then, and get myself down to the scrappy's :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
your cylinder will be approx 11 kilo in weight , you will get more per kilo for your copper pipe but remove any brass fittings from pipe as this will affect the price also take the brass with you as that is over 3 quid a kilo scrap . you will need a photo ID and a either a council tax bill or a utility bill less than 3 months old and take your sort code and account number as you wont be getting cash for it

Cheers chaps, appreciate the replies. I hope Mrs lost stopped and put it in the back of the car :D

I wonder how many in the trade actually have a waste carriers licence now, for the paltry sum of £200+? :whistle:

I've had well over £200 of scrap copper and lead out of my 3 bed semi now, with a bit more to come. More than paid for the nice new plastic pipework.

Just to update, finally got round to taking to scrappy's.....whilst waiting in a queue to get in, a pair of *****'s offered me £150 for the lot. I took £200 :) I hadn't cleaned it up either, so happy with that.

Just to update, finally got round to taking to scrappy's.....whilst waiting in a queue to get in, a pair of *****'s offered me £150 for the lot. I took £200 :) I hadn't cleaned it up either, so happy with that.
Hi Trickytree, where did you scrap your copper please? I looked googled, only found places which take it for you and give you a £20.. Thank you!

Any proper metal recycling yard will weigh it then you get paid by kg.
Copper tube needs a bit of sorting no brass on it or you get paid at lower rate.
Just before Christmas got £6.80 a kg for heavy copper.
You need photo I d and a utility bill if you haven't been been before .
Get paid either directly into your bank or some yards pay by cheque then offer a cheque cashing service!

And most yards now use a form of NPR to photograph you and your number plate.
Not sure how it works if you are using a mates van.

Bear in mind a cylinder is " braziery" and £ess value than heavy copper. Also they don't like spray foam -so cut it off - and take the top off the cylinder so they can see there is no limescale in the bottom,adding weight. That way what the scales say is what you should get.

My understanding is that all soldered/braised/painted/used copper is classed as Braziery? Has been every time I've gone to weigh in. The only other is 'clean' copper which attract the highest prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back