Value of scrap copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber has just installed a new hot water cylinder for me. I have just discovered he has taken the old 120L copper cylinder with him. What is the value of this if any. Could I sell it on as scrap copper if I get it back?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The plumber is the one who did the work and lugged the damned thing out. It's his salvage if you didn't claim it first.

A plumber has just installed a new hot water cylinder for me. I have just discovered he has taken the old 120L copper cylinder with him. What is the value of this if any. Could I sell it on as scrap copper if I get it back?
Thanks.

I'll give you a tenner for it if you clean it up first. :D

Did he give you a written estimate for changing the cylinder stating all waste will be removed, and did you advise him that you wanted to retain the cylinder after removal? You'll be lucky to get it back, if it's not gone down to the scapman already. Price - depends where you take it, size, weight etc. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes I have a written estimate but no mention of removing the waste items, he has left everything else except the copper. I was too concerned about the water leak that happened into the room downstairs to mention the cylinder when he left.

What a guy...... did he arrive on a Hoss?

My quotes include 'remove & dispose all obsolete equipment'.

DH

So what your saying is whilst your concerned about a leak coming through the ceiling he has riden off with cylinder and scrap in hand! Was this the residue from the old cylinder or a leak left on the newly installed cylinder?

My quotes include 'remove & dispose all obsolete equipment'.

If he had included a disposal statement then he probably would have added a disposal charge - at least that's something less to worry about! :eek:

A new leak after the new cylinder was installed. He did fix it before leaving though!

At the beginning of the year I was getting £4.60/kilo for copper. I took some in today and only got £4.10/kilo.

Come on now Mr Forsyth, are you really wanting the plumber to bring back the cylinder an lose his Brucey bonus and you are willing to lug it into your car, get black magnatite all over the boot and spend good free time taking it to a scrap yard for £50 ?

, he has left everything else except the copper.

The value of any scrap copper/brass that I will be taking is largely built into my price. Customers tend to assume that you will clear all waste from their home when you have finished. However, I must say that I take all waste, including anything that hasn't any value and costs me to dump.
I'm surprised he left this for you to dispose of.

To put things in perspective, is he a good plumber and will you be wanting his services in the future? If yes, then it ain't worth souring things over a few quids worth of scrap.

Sponsored Links
Back