Value of scrap copper

Could you post your house number and postcode.

So we can make sure we do not have to even quote for any work for you.

Sponsored Links
Could you post your house number and postcode.

So we can make sure we do not have to even quote for any work for you.

When you send a quote to people, do you charge for the stamp and for your time doing the quote?

Look, I'm new to this site and I have no wish to offend anyone, but honestly I can't believe the arrogance of some of the members on here that appear to be tradesmen.

Customers are your business and without them, you do not exist. They are not cash cows.

When you work out a business model, everything is costed.

So yes the customer pays for the stamps and envelopes. Faxes and phone calls. Time taken is included. Insurance, petrol and or diesel.
Screws and plugs, fittings and ...........................you get the drift?

As for the removal, it is generally accepted you will clear site.
On another note I have not got a waste license so old batteries stay with the client. Then again most councils will accept them as household waste anyway.
Not lucky enough to collect copper, seems its gone up again.

I get the drift.
So, thereisawizzas comments about fuel and other overheads are rather nonsensical then.

Clearing the site is fine, however it would seem that most peoples experience of this practice is that the site is cleared in a very selective manner, ie; leave the crap and take the gold.

I'm probably just bitter having just had MY property stolen and sold, just to line the pockets of the installer even though I pointedly asked him to LEAVE EVERYTHING as I was going to weigh it in myself.

Not to mention the swiping of materials that he 'didn't need', even though I had already paid for them myself.

Sponsored Links
When I had a combi boiler installed a couple of years ago the engineer noticed I had a trailer and offered me £25 discount if I got rid of all the waste he created. I accepted, no problem, he put it all in the trailer and when the copper tank was removed he said he would take that - YEAH RIGHT!! I said I may as well get rid of it whilst I am tipping everything else. Knowing copper had a value, I got £65 for it and the off cuts of pipe at a local scrap yard!!

OP: You let him take it - its too late complaining now!

OP: You let him take it - its too late complaining now!

Happened to me too and I didn't 'let him take it', in the same way as someone who gets robbed does not just 'let' it happen.

Interesting experience you had though, like I said in previous post - these blokes practice 'selective site clearance'.

You wouldn't expect a roofer to leave you your old tiles after a re-roof, or a decorator to leave all the old wallpaper he removed!!

I don't blame heating engineers for cashing in where they can - and not everybody will know where to cash the copper in, or even want to.

You wouldn't expect a roofer to leave you your old tiles after a re-roof, or a decorator to leave all the old wallpaper he removed!! .

I would expect to be left the tiles if I expressly asked for them. Old tiles have a value too.
Wallpaper, that's just being silly.

Cashing in at the customers expense by deceit or otherwise is underhand and could possibly be considered as theft.

I work hard to earn my money and I don't expect to be a charity for those poor underpaid tradesmen out there.

Bottom line, and this is from hard learnt experience.

GET IT IN WRITING

Then no one is unsure.

I never clear any site of waste
I always state on the quote that waste will not be cleared it's down to them to dump or get a skip on a large job.
Non of my contractors allow us to take waste/scrap it's theft from the customer.

Non of my contractors allow us to take waste/scrap it's theft from the customer.

Exactly, yet some of the members on here seem to think it's theirs by right or 'tradition'.

You really should get something right here. I am not condoning theft.
What I am saying is if you agree for removal of rubbish then expect all to be taken.
If you speficially want to retain something make it known. Ask for it to be removed from the general waste. Put a price on it if need.

But what you are doing here is blamket calling trades thieves.

If as above the rule is in force it is theft. But read the above carefully, it states "none of MY contractors" .
So the other trades on the sane site are bound by what? The fact they rip out something and take it away as rubbish?
And maybe make something out of it?

Lets also look on the other side of the coin, when we take away and it COSTS us to get rid off at the local waste tip as we have a van!

As per no pleasing all of the fools some of the time.

Sponsored Links
Back