Value of scrap copper

I am not calling all tradesmen theives, however as I have said the belief on here is that it's OK to take away valuable material unless it's written in stone or something. You call it 'rubbish' which suggests it has no value, but as you well know that is far from the truth.

In my case, I specifically asked for the copper and tank to be LEFT, yet he ignored that and took it. I estimated about £80-90 value.
To me, that IS theft and he should think himself lucky that I didn't pursue it as such.

When I queried this with him he became all defensive as if I was taking money out of HIS pocket, saying he considered it his bonus! Sorry mate, but if anyone decides if someone gets a bonus it will be ME, not them.

Secondly, as per the shopping list given to me by the installer, I bought and paid for all the fittings myself and have the invoice to prove it. Yet this installer decided that anything that was not needed was his to take.

I managed to rescue some lengths of unused 22mm copper, which cost £16 a length. What else did he take? Why should I fund his business with my own material?
It's easy to overestimate the materials needed and then just swipe them at the end of the job isn't it?

So, far from being an 'displeased fool' I am just one of many that are not stupid enough to get ripped off that easily.

Sponsored Links
All I can say then is you had a "wrong un".
When I do an upgrade, all kit is the customers. However any rubbish is removed. As in boxes, wrapping ect.
At the end of the job the old kit is given to the customer, if they then ask for me to dispose I will. And anything I can use will be kept ( to do a m8 a cheap system)

Just to add, some alarm kit may be totally serviceable but to meet a higher insurance grade it has to be removed and updated , that is why you can remove perfectly good equipment in some peoples eyes.
Not down to us, tell the ACPO, CENLEC and the insurers. Back to the topic.

So I am sorry you had a bad experience, but your tone suggested all do it. You have then expanded on your experience. So I can see why you feel how you do. Try to understand I also felt my statements to be true also.

To others I jsut say get an agreement in place if you want certain items back, before the job is coming to an end and in fact earlier if possible as some "rubbish" is removed from site early sometimes.

It was a 'recommended' plumber via a neighbour, so nothing in writing apart from some prices for kit, the fitting was just an agreement between the plumber and me.
It was crystal clear about the copper though. Two reasons, one is I wanted the money and two, I didn't want him struggling down the stairs making a mess.

The posts by certain members on this forum did nothing to dispell my feelings that it was accepted practice to bag the 'scrap', regardless of any agreement and there seems to be an attitude that 'custards' are purely there for the milking.

Taking MY tubing that I had bought at his request, as he felt that 'I wouldn't need it now', just about did it.

As for my experience, I won't be able to recommend him to anyone I know that's for sure.

It is wrong for the plumber to remove the scrap, after being specifically told not to, unless his T&C's indicated otherwise. My terms are that I will remove all rubbish from site, so I take EVERYTHING, including copper. Nobody has ever asked to keep the copper, an if they did, I would point out that my quote calculaltions make a small allowance for scrap.

Taking your personally supplied tube, I am afraid, IS theft, but what sort of plumber gives his client a shopping list? And what sort of client wants it?

I don't think i would risk a major argument over it though, and when I take out a fire or mantle, I always ask if they want to keep it. Frankly, I hope they do, as it costs me to dispose of.

Alarm, you say you don't have a waste carriers licence, so you can't take batteries. This is nonsense of course. Without a WC licence, you can't even take away the box it came in.

Sponsored Links
It is wrong for the plumber to remove the scrap, after being specifically told not to, unless his T&C's indicated otherwise.

Taking your personally supplied tube, I am afraid, IS theft, but what sort of plumber gives his client a shopping list? And what sort of client wants it?

I don't think i would risk a major argument over it though

I have not seen his T+C's, but regardless of that, we had an agreement about NOT taking the copper.

The job was cash in hand, so it was easier for me to pay for my own materials and for him to just do the fitting. He would have supplied it all, but I would had had to pay up front. The way it was done, I paid and will pay the CC bill next month.

It's the way he does business, but I won't be doing it that way again unless it's a someone I know and can vouch for personally. ;)

I estimated about £80-90 value.
To me, that IS theft and he should think himself lucky that I didn't pursue it as such.

Then if you knew the value, and you wanted to cash the copper in, then you should have reiterated to him to leave it.

Somehow, I think the heating engineer would have a different version of events.

I estimated about £80-90 value.

Then if you knew the value, and you wanted to cash the copper in, then you should have reiterated to him to leave it.

Somehow, I think the heating engineer would have a different version of events.

How many times do I have to tell someone to LEAVE the copper? He isn't deaf or stupid, just greedy. If the installer has a different version, it would only be to suit his own pocket.

FFS! What is it with plumbers? Do you think the world owes you a living and anything that isn't screwed down is yours to take?

Imagine buying a new car and when you get home you realise the garage has taken your old car away as they assumed you didn't want it.

I rather lost interest in having any sympathy when you admitted it was a cash in hand job. You are implicit in VAT and tax evasion. You know you can't pursue the matter as you have failed to take the basic precaution of dealing with a bona fide business, which offers the right to consumer protection.

Cheapest isn't always the most economical.

I rather lost interest in having any sympathy when you admitted it was a cash in hand job. You are implicit in VAT and tax evasion.

Hardly an admission and retaining your interest or sympathy is not my goal.

VAT and tax evasion? It was done as a favour to me, by one bloke, not through his company, so what's the problem?

Except that he stole my property, which is what this is all about just to remind you.

:rolleyes:

as much as i dislike the monkey ilk i do think that the op aint half a tightwad.

this bloke you paid to have work done might not be working in 2 weeks for who knows how long so get it in your mind that you are putting food on his plate either way.

Do you have a pension at the end of your working life?

this bloke you paid to have work done might not be working in 2 weeks for who knows how long so get it in your mind that you are putting food on his plate either way.

Do you have a pension at the end of your working life?

Get the f*ck
That's he's bad luck then.
What he's got or hasn't got isn't no one elses problem i'm sure i don't give a monkey if the bloke nextdoor has work or a big pension not my problem.

Worry about yourself not everyone else cause they don't care about you.

I rather lost interest in having any sympathy when you admitted it was a cash in hand job. You are implicit in VAT and tax evasion.

Hardly an admission and retaining your interest or sympathy is not my goal.

VAT and tax evasion? It was done as a favour to me, by one bloke, not through his company, so what's the problem?

Except that he stole my property, which is what this is all about just to remind you.

:rolleyes:

Well he might have "Stolen" his other parts too.

So your directly contributing to theft also.

Tough titty you lost a bit of copper.

Are you tall enough already or do you need steps when you get off your high horse? :rolleyes:

Hardly an admission

Yes it was an admission

and retaining your interest or sympathy is not my goal.
What, precisely, is your goal.? We clearly aren't going to get tooled up opn ypir behalf and get your Cu back

The poroblem is that on one hand you are getting hacked off because he stole from you, yet you can't see that by getting a cheap price, -you stole off the VATman, and by conspiracy, the tax man. Also the guy's boss may be unhappy that he probably used his tools and consumables and possibly small fittings.

The guy did the job "as a favour"? Mmm. WAS he a really good mate? . And a favour is normally reciprocated.

Sponsored Links
Back