Copper pipe and labour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi good evening, im just after some info pls. My mam had a new combi boiler installed and the old lead pipes were not replaced and last week 1 of the lead pipes burst. The lead pipes have since been sealed with silver filler not sure what you guys use. My mam has lead pipe from the main stopcock in the kitchen up the wall into the bath and across to the toilet , I measured up and reckon 20 feet of copper pipe would do it , I looked under the bath and there is copper pipe so it seems the join could be done without gettin under the bath. The quote we had was 500 , what would 20 feet of 15 mm copper pipe cost at trade price , im interested in what the labour charge would be, what would be a reasonable charge for this type of work ? Cheers

Sponsored Links
does sound abit over the top if the job's as straight foreward as you say.
but i doubt it is :rolleyes:
average 3m length about £7 now.

7 quid! ffs , even if the bath had to come out so he could get to the pipes to completely remove them then it would be less than 500 , thanks for confirming the price of the pipe.

silverfiller :eek: never heard of it, plastic is cheaper today, 1/2 the price of copper, but the fitting are more expensive, but the installation time is less, so you'd have to wieght that up, but nobody, and i mean NOBODY, repairs lead nowadays, silverfiller or goldfiller, we put copper or plastic between it or replace it completely, who ever silverfilled it is a bodger, :(

Sponsored Links
He probably used lead free solder, which is tin, so looks silvery. Against current regs for water supply, but we all have to do it sometimes.

Replacing lead pipes can be hard because they bend around a lot, copper doesn't DO that! Plastic does, though, and would be an option, and could be much quicker.

£500? Hmm, only OKish if it takes 2 days or more - which I doubt it would.

bet you get a good price for all that lead ;)
some hep20 should do it. Prob best plastic pipe for flexibility. Don't like plastic on heating but ok on clean water supplies imo. Do it yourself, be easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back