copper pipe, condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

See attached pic. This pipe used to serve a (now removed) hot water cylinder. It was cut by heating engineer and for 2-3 weeks not a drip. I then painted some of it as you can see, just some left over silk emulsion. Next day, a solitary bead of water on the end but nothing dripping on to shelf. Dried it, next day, again solitary bead of water hanging off the end. I stuck my finger up and the pipe is wet inside. As I say though there's a shelf underneath and I'm not seeing a small pool of water so it's like it gets as far as one bead of water but it doesn't fall!

Is the tap at the top seeping water or can painting copper pipe cause some sort of condensation, hence the daily bead of water? I'm thinking of just putting a cap on the end.

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe still live if the above tap is opened? If so the tap could be letting a little water pass through it, if not there most be still some residue of water in the pipe, that is making it's way down slowly from the above space.

You could always put a Pushfit stopend onto the cut end for peace of mind.

Clean paint off first so that the "O" ring and "teeth" sit on clean copper.

Remove the pipe completely and put a threaded cap with rubber washer on the outlet of the stopcock/tap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies all. Tbh I'll need to check with heating engineer to determine if that pipe is still live, I don't want to try opening it and then ...

I bought a push-fit end cap thing a few days back, (22mm?) but I suspect the pipe is ever so slightly smaller so the end cap doesn't go on tight enough :( so I'm thinking a 22mm compression stop end might do the trick even if pipe is slightly smaller due to the compression?

I don't want to start cutting the pipe etc tbh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back