Copper Pipe reuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a completely new bathroom. Everything is in a new position and a Shower enclosure is being added. All the underfloor plumbing is changing. Is it ok to reuse the copper pipe ?

I have noticed that the insides of the pipe have dried out since last used (a few weeks) with blue deposits.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Everyone reuses it these days! Just flush it out well.

In my experience, The time it takes to clean up old copper for re-use and time wasted sorting through odd lengths and offcuts doesn't make it worth while. Also, I imagine you want your new bathroom to last for quite a while? Copper pipe is prone to pinhole leaks developing with age. Its impossible to detect this until it happens but you are increasing the risk if you use old. Another problem with old pipework is the lead solder that was used to make the joints. Again with age these joints can sometimes literally be pulled apart by hand. Believe me. Buy new pipework, Either copper or plastic. Do the job right. And, at todays scrap prices if you weigh in the old copper you will get most of your money back.

Has any one compared weight on old copper pipes compared with new pipes. It sure ain't the same stuff ! Older pipe seems to be more pure and heavier than the carp we get nowerdays.

just look at scrap value on old stuff compared with newer pipes/cylinders

Sponsored Links
Older gear was just thicker walled , that's all , no difference in purity!

Older gear was just thicker walled , that's all , no difference in purity!

I agree that it was thicker walled, but it was also easier to bend and that makes me suspect the purity is perhaps lower.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back