Copper pipe wall thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Is copper pipe with a wall thickness of 1mm be suitable for bending using a pipe bender.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
bit of a strange question this with also asking what is the best combi are you thinking of having a go yourself

No just the pipe work but getting the boiler fitted by the profesionals!!

If you asking such basic questions, I does leave me thinking...

1. you have no idea what your doing
2. as above.

My advise to you would be....

put your new pipe bender down... research copper (x&y tables) and then post a serious question.

Its not a boys toy, and if you want one buy a PS2

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hey i thought this was a DIY forum not a forum for the technical copper profs amonst us.
obsiouly you are or think you are a profesional.
Or it might be in your case = a little knowledge is dangerous.
Why would i have to research copper.
All i am asking is the pipe to thin two bend or do I have to use elbows, that,s compression ones prof.
With an olive, ooh getting technical
and i could also use ptfe tape ( thats plastic tape for engineers!!) with them.

Where did you get the pipe from?

What standard is it?

f49h said:
All i am asking is the pipe to thin two bend or do I have to use elbows, that,s compression ones prof.
With an olive, ooh getting technical

You don't use compression fittings in lieu of getting the correct pipework for the job. :confused:

and i could also use ptfe tape ( thats plastic tape for engineers!!) with them.

No it is not :confused: It is PTFE :confused: And you don't use that in compression joints :cry:

I think you have too much to learn before you should attempt to install pipework.[/quote]

Why are you all giving the OP such a hard time? All he want's to do is to bend some copper tube, fer chrissakes!

The answer is that it will be table X and you can bend it. If it was too thin it would snap in the bending machine (so you'd soon find out anyway).

table X (now r250?) 15mm is 0.7mm and 22mm 0.9mm iirc, so...

noonespecial said:
You don't use compression fittings in lieu of getting the correct pipework for the job. :confused:
Well, lots of DIYers do, and what on earth is wrong with that?

noonespecial said:
...PTFE :confused: And you don't use that in compression joints :cry:
Really? Why not? Perhaps you don't use it, but that doesn't make it wrong, so why do you imply that there is a general rule when there's no such thing? Perhaps to maintain some ridiculous clique of which you think you are a part?

noonespecial said:
I think you have too much to learn before you should attempt to install pipework.
I disagree - the guy is willing to learn, has come to the right place (although receive many unhelpful replies), and, with some experimentation, there's no reason why he can't make a start. We all began somewhere...

ChrisR said:
table X (now r250?) 15mm is 0.7mm and 22mm 0.9mm iirc, so...
ChrisR is right as ever. So? So if it's really 1.0mm wall thickness it will be to Table Y half-hard, and still be bendable. More likely is that the 1.0mm quoted by OP is an approximation. Here is the technical background stuff.

Hi Chris
At last someone with sense
It is 15 and 22 table X half hard.
Will it bend OK .
I dont want to order it and find out I have to use fittings, I want to keep the fittings down to a minium.

Yes, table X half hard (now called R250) is fine for bending.

WhooooHooooo :p
Cheers Chris for the answer, thats all I want to know.
Geezo it gets too technical in here.
Have to change the forum to,"look at me i am technical, forum"
I think I'll move to Cuba

f49h said:
WhooooHooooo :p
Cheers Chris for the answer, thats all I want to know.
Geezo it gets too technical in here.
Have to change the forum to,"look at me i am technical, forum"
I think I'll move to Cuba
Oy, enough with the jibes matey. You asked a technical question and got a technical answer. Leaving aside some of the more pompous posts on this topic, if you're in some way dissatisfied with the result then there's a technical action that you can take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back