Copper Push-fit - Opinions wanted...!

M

Milo19

Hi there,

I've been meaning to sort out the pipe work behind the dishwasher and washing machine for sometime now. Well today, I discovered a small pool of water coming from the washing machine....so its going to be pulled and to see whats happening.

Whilst its out I'm going to change the pipe work. The existing piping is a mixtures of copper to plastic, back to copper and then plastic again! Its a mess.

I'm confident I can do the piping myself, and to be honest would like to try.

However, I've seen this copper push fit stuff around....Whats it like, is it any good. I want to use copper not plastic.

Sponsored Links
Its very good, but the pipes musn't be damaged in any way. The pipes themselves should be cut with a pipe slice, too.
John :)

Horrible to try and demount though. If it's all installed behind units etc would just go with John Guest Speedfit fittings

Sponsored Links
Ditto. The only reason to fit copper push-fit instead of plastic push-fit is appearence. Copper might look better, but the internal seals are the same as plastic.

Why pay loads more for copper, if it will be hidden?

If you want to, why not get yourself down to Screwfix, and get a bag each of compression connectors and elbows? Really easy to fix. I have compression fittings in my house that are over 50 years old. Wouldn't like to wager that push-fit would last anything like as long (copper or plastic)!

Just thought old school copper would be best....I have never used any, so have no opinion.

I would just prefer to use something that once fitted will stay leak free as I'm sick of finding little pools of water!!!

Is the water definately coming from the feed? Has the waste frozen outside? Maybe worth checking. Unless it's been happening through the warmer months too.

Pull the washing machine out and run a cycle - see where the leak is. It may be as simple as tightening the hose connector onto the service valve 1/2 a turn. If it was leaking supply pipework youd more than likely get more than a pool of water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back