Copper strips in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just cutting a new doorway through an old solid stone wall and there are 3 copper strips running along about 2 inches off the ground level.

I presume these are some old damp proofing technique.. any ideas?

I found some references to electro-osmosis which seems a bit sketchy... just want to check that I don't need them.

Sponsored Links
yes, they are most likely osmosis strips - a rip-off from the past
no, you dont need them. just cut them wherever.

yes, they are most likely osmosis strips - a rip-off from the past
no, you dont need them. just cut them wherever.
I think they only worked when installed by a naked virgin at a full moon with the word abracadabra constantly repeated during installation!

I think they only worked when installed by a naked virgin at a full moon with the word abracadabra constantly repeated during installation!
Interesting that , IIRC NHBC approved electro-osmosis for use in conversions at one time (yes, NHBC did cover conversions ) as a damp proofing treatment for existing brick walls.

Sponsored Links
I thought it was recommended for cob as well at one point. Never seen it on brick.

20190625_202552.jpg 20190625_202544.jpg
20190625_202437.jpg
Just realised this rentokil widget on the wall outside might be something to do with it ?

So according to heritage - house there is no such thing as rising damp , so ignore Bldg. Regs Approved Documents and NHBC Standards folks and don't bother with dpc's :!: As for cavity wall insulation , better watch out the outer leaf of brickwork can still dry out and it doesn't corrode the stainless steel wall ties :!::!::!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back