Copper vs Plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the preferred choice? the plastic seems to be stocked everywhere now and is very popular.
Was this due to the price of copper being sky high?

What is your view of plastic fittings?
What is your view of the copper push fit?
and
How are they standing up to ageing.

I always use copper pipe and Yorkshire fittings for little jobs around the house that I do

Sponsored Links
Quality installers use copper, diyers plastic.

Sponsored Links
Personally speaking, I prefer to use lead.... But I'm even more old fashioned that those who use copper :D

Truth is it doesn't matter what you use, you can still make a pigs ear of it if you are unskilled or a top job if you know what you are doing.... My rule of thumb is copper where you can see and plastic where you cant..... And NEVER use plastic for surface mounted work :eek:

Quality installers use copper, diyers plastic.
Define "quality".

And do you ever install a plastic cistern?

And do you ever install a boiler that contains plastic parts?

And do you ever use plastic traps and waste parts?

And do you ever think about what pipe materials and type of fittings will be less disruptive for the customer, and cheaper both in terms of time spent both on installation and on future maintenance?

Or do you just stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and yell "COPPER IS BEST!" at anyone who comes near you?

Personally speaking, I prefer to use lead.... But I'm even more old fashioned that those who use copper :D:

Gercha you young whipper snapper I still use WOOD for my plumbing

tempus fugit

(the only latin I know) ;)

so whats wrong with poly then DM?

Saves a huge amount of install time it do.

I just hate seeing it

:)

Those who take pride in their work and use bends where possible rather than fittings.
So if bends are good and fittings are bad, then why not use a continuous 15m length of pipe instead of joining five 3m lengths together? Or curve some plastic pipe using double (or more) the bend radius that you achieve with copper?

Copper is best but plastic pipe only using brass compression joints - no push-fit which is the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back