Copper vs Plastic

Sponsored Links
There's no problem with push-fit fittings if they're installed correctly.

The problem is with closed-minded installers who think that they must be easy to install, and then do it wrong, and with those who carelessly scratch the pipe.

Push-fit fittings are also available in copper, but that's purely for the copper-fetishists.

Sponsored Links
the trouble with push fit fittings is they look rubbish, like they are a complete bodge and the seals are rubber o rings, anyone that works on boilers knows that rubber o rings aren't the most long lived form of seal.

As far as I'm concerned both have their place. If access is good then I prefer copper. If there are issued with getting under floors etc. then plastic can be the best solution. You've got to defer to the wishes of the customer though. Last year I spent 2 days ripping plastic out of a loft and replacing it with copper because the owner had specifically requested copper. The system worked and was completely water tight but not in the specified material.

Rember this
Let's hope that your soldering is better than your spellg.

And let's hope that the idiot in the image you posted learns to use a solder mat, and that flushing out the pipework is necessary to reduce occurrences of pinholing and other manifestations of corrosion.

It's not clear who you're asking to "rember" (sic.), but, personally, I love soldering, because I'm extremely good at it, but I don't insist that every job has to be soldered, because in some situations it would be the wrong thing to do. Notwithstanding even that, the average quality of copper and soldering work in this country might just about pass for 'acceptable', if it improved 100%. :rolleyes:

the trouble with push fit fittings is they look rubbish
Do these look like rubbish?

View media item 7286
And these?

View media item 7287

they are a complete bodge
Please define "complete" and "bodge".

the seals are rubber
Are they? Where did you read that?

anyone that works on boilers knows that rubber o rings aren't the most long lived form of seal.
What would you prefer to use on an appliance that has to be capable of repeated thermal cycling from 0 to 100°C, or as defined by BS 7291: Part 1: 2001? Boss White, perhaps? :D

Even if installed correctly they can give problems. I have known the grab rings give out and the fitting shoot off then a full bore of water under a floor. Insurance job time.

I have known the grab rings to disintegrate over time. I have known O rings to give out too. They are more problematic on hot water pipes a than cold.

Best avoid pushfit on copper or plastic and use brass compression joints, which cost about the same, or less, using quality fittings, which are easily undone in the future.

Even if installed correctly they can give problems.
You're wrong. It's becoming a habit.

I have known the grab rings give out and the fitting shoot off then a full bore of water under a floor. Insurance job time.
If the grab wedge has a manufacturing fault then the menufacturer is liable. Hepworth give a 50 year guarantee.

Even so, there are plenty enough grab wedges that are clearly faulty before installation. Personally I weed them out and get replacements from Hepworth, so that (a) my clients don't have any failures, and (b) Hepworth learn how to make them better.

Idiots, on the other hand, believe that push-fit is easy and therefore pay less heed to installing it than they would with either solder or compression. If you make assumptions then you take risks.

I have known the grab rings to disintegrate over time.
You're making it up.

I have known O rings to give out too. They are more problematic on hot water pipes a than cold.
All complete drivel. If they gave out then it's caused by poor installation, not "time". :rolleyes:

Best avoid pushfit on copper or plastic and use brass compression joints, which cost about the same, or less, using quality fittings, which are easily undone in the future.
Not as easily undone as Hep2o Acorn (aka demountable) fittings.

Planemad, just avoid push-fit fittings. The DIYers and cowboys used them.

I must add that I have been to several "burst/melted" plastic pipe jobs but yet to find that with copper. Plastic pipes are forbidden for the first meter on boilers flow/returns for a reason.

I must add that I have been to several "burst/melted" plastic pipe jobs but yet to find that with copper. Plastic pipes are forbidden for the first meter on boilers flow/returns for a reason.

That depends on the makers. Read the instructions. If the connections are outside the boiler casing then usually plastic is OK right up to the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back