Copying VHS to USB Memory Stick and Attaching "Modern" TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lad wants to copy some VHS to a memory stick. He bought a second hand VCR and a dongle thing with RCA and S video leads attached and a USB-A plug on the other end.

Using a break-out SCART plug, he couldn't get any kind of picture, then he tried attaching it to the TV, which has RCA inputs. No go. He tried the RCA on the front of the video, but I think they might be inputs, not outputs.

I am getting hold of a SCART lead on Sunday, I'm hoping this will work.

But I'm also wondering if the VCR is not outputting video. How likely is this?

Finally, I'm not sure he has the right dongle thingy.

He wants to capture video and audio from the VHS tapes and save it to a memory stick.

The bit of kit he has looks like this.

Rybozen Video Grabber USB Capture Card, Convert Hi8 VHS to Digital DVD for Windows PC, Audio Video Digitize Converter Adapter https://amzn.eu/d/32TFTFA

Sponsored Links
On a second hand machine I would think that no video output would be highly likely. I don't know how old the machine is but I would have thought at least 10 to 20 years old. The heads do not like not being used and even if used they do wear out and get gummed up.

Is it a 25 pin SCART.
Bear in mind that some SCaRT can be in or out only.
The front sockets will be IN only.

You need to at least get one part of the system working in order to check the rest, otherwise you can’t get your head around where the issue is.

You “could” buy the above and use it to output through scart.
You could return it/keep/ donate afterwards.

This would give you a working analogue out.
depending on your TV, some flatscreens have analogue in on phono,
Or have a multi pin jack and come with a small fly lead adaptor to allow connection.
Many cheaper ones are HDMI in only.

Until you have a working chain it’s hard to say

Sponsored Links
Tiger....
21 pin socket on the VCR.

Jurassic...
Not got a bean out of it so far...

Not got a bean out of it so far...
Dirty heads is a likely cause.

Before cleaning the heads, see if you can get a picture by first pressing play and then pressing FF, in order to get the video to play forward at high speed. You may have to press some other set of buttons to get it to play forward (or backward) at high speed, depending on how this VCR works. Also, some players let you increase or decrease the speed. Very often a clogged head will still give you an image when playing at high speed. If you do get an image when playing at high speed, then it probably is a dirty head issue.

What I meant was the plug? Some leads were only wired to be in or out.
To save money, the cheaper ones scrimped on pins.
If it’s fully pinned and only has three photos, bleep it through.

Hold it fellas, before this gets any more off course. ;) :LOL:

Blocked heads don't usually result in no image at all. You might get a partial image with the rest a black & white scramble, but you should get something. No image at all suggests either a cabling problem or the TV not being happy to sync to the wobbly* VHS signal.

Sync - a timing signal. This is your main concern. Unless a flatscreen has a SCART socket, and you previously used that set with a VCR, then it's safer to presume the TV won't lock onto VHS sync via its AV inputs. :oops::eek::oops:

Don't panic though, there is a solution. Grab an aerial cable and hook up RF OUT on the VCR to ANT IN on the TV.

Next, take the TV remote (yes, the proper TV remote. No, not the Sky remote or Virgin remote that just happens turn the telly on and off, and do the volume), then hunt around for some batteries because the ones in the proper TV remote are either flat or have leaked. Clean up the contacts and fit the batteries.

Up and running yet? Good.

Your TV has a tuner for Freeview, but also a tuner for analogue TV signals. That's what you're going to switch to:- analogue. That's the right type for the VCR. (Read TV manual if unsure how to engage analogue tuner.)

Put the VCR on and set a tape playing so long as you're sure it won't eat the tape. Use a non-precious cassette if in doubt. (Get feature film from local charity shop / car boot.) Alternatively, see if you can work out how to switch on the VHS tuning test pattern. Could be a small switch on the back of the VCR.

Now get to the TV tuning menu. You just need analogue tuning, not digital. Set it going and let the telly search for the VCR signal. Follow the telly instructions for allocating a channel and storing the setting. Switch off the tuning signal if you used it.

At this point you should have some kind of picture from the VCR. It might be just snow if the VCR is in tuner mode, or the picture and sound from a tape if playing. This should show you whether or not the tape heads are blocked.

Once you have RF working then, if you wish, you can continue to try to get a signal to the TV by AV, but personally I wouldn't bother. RF is close enough to AV quality just for monitoring. Leave the AV connections free for the USB capture device.

Next, getting AV Out to work.

Where a VCR has SCART, it might have one or two. For those decks with two SCART sockets, let's start by eliminating the one you don't want to connect to. This would be the DECODER so ket, sometimes coloured blue, but in all cases it should say DECODER over the socket.

The socket you do want will probably be labelled TV. The next stage is getting picture and sound out of it.

Since the SCART connection has 21 pins (not 25, that would be DB25 for say a parallel printer port connection), then there are enough pins for SCART to be a bi-directional connection. Because of that, any adaptor plug or lead involving RCA plugs or sockets could be either an input or an output connection. We want it to be an output connection.

Here's the tricky part then, because vendors are either ignorant or careless, and because ordinary Joe end-users don't really understand directionality, finding a one-way lead that is correctly named is something of a lottery.

The safest option is to get something switchable. If there are only two options, either In or Out, then it's a 50/50 chance that one is correct. If there's no signal, then it's the other setting. Simples.

"Ah, what about RGB via SCART?" - some might ask.

For a DVD player or a set top box, yeah, sure, you'd need to think about that. VCRs though are all composite devices. They don't use RGB.

That should be it. If the VCR is working correctly, and you can see picture and hear sound via the RF connection, then AV should work too unless some bodger has had a go.

eBay is full of VCRs. A lot come from house clearances or picked up at car boot sales. Some chancers give them a rub over within damp rag and try to claim that the remotes are available online cheap. The good VCRs come from homes where the machine has been owned from new and might even have been in regular use. They're more expensive, but a safer bet. Here's one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235481167115

* wobbly - yep, technical term, right there. LOL

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Oh how we (me and my middle lad) have been shamed...

We had the SCART lead delivered tonight. He hooked it up and we stuck a tape in.

And it worked fine.

So he went back to his breakout SCART plug and connected the RCA lead to it and the AV connections on the back of the TV and.........nothing.

He unplugs the breakout plug and scrutinises it.

"Oh, you f...ing idiot!", he exclaims.

Concealed in the plug is a tiny switch with I and O at opposite ends of the switch.

When he changed the position of the switch, up popped the picture, along with audio.

But the switch was not mentioned in the instructions nor in the software that came with the kit.

Thank you all for all your help and advice.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back