cordless blooming keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont know if this is hard or software ok but anyway...
I have a cordless mouse and keyboard (Dell) and the keyboard is very temporamental.
It keeps just stopping working (even with fresh batteries) and sometimes it is hard to get both the mouse and keyboard working, one or the working only..

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with cordless ones?

Sponsored Links
guess that answers it then... come back keyboard with a cord... all is forgiven.

Sponsored Links
cheers.. its working right now but going to have to get a corded one. Thing is when it went on blink I couldnt borrow keyboard off pals as it was the wrong connection bit to fit in the computer.
And dell dont sell in the shops!! but without a keyboard I cant get online! tut tut. thanks both.

toffee said:
cheers.. its working right now but going to have to get a corded one. Thing is when it went on blink I couldnt borrow keyboard off pals as it was the wrong connection bit to fit in the computer.
And dell dont sell in the shops!! but without a keyboard I cant get online! tut tut. thanks both.

Hi,

I have a Dell workstation but have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse which has been absolutely perfect which was shipped with it at my choice.

You don't need to go to Dell to get a new Keyboard or Mouse, the brand doesn't matter. In the last 10 years plus there have only been 3 types of connection on PC's. Here they are in age:

AT (5 Pin DIN connector) very rare
PS/2 Mini DIN connector
USB - Small rectangular connector.

USB and PS/2are about the only ones you can buy these days.

What OS are you using? both PS/2 and USB should work no problem on anything except Windows NT 4 and previous.

Jon.

jon, sorry but I am totally clue less with computers.
The dell computer is just over a year old and we have a cordless logitech mouse and keyboard. the mouse base cable has two ends but the one that fits is a prong shape. the one that doesnt is fatter with little prongs inside.
If it 'goes'again, Im going to get a corded one but will just have to make sure I get the correct one. thanks

Toffee, if it's a one-year old Dell I'll have a bet that the back looks like this:
dellDIM2400_rearpc.jpg

There are only 2 types of keyboard/mouse connections available, and both will be compatible with your PC. If you buy the "PS/2" type, use the connections I have highlighted "A", which in turn are clearly labelled and colour-coded on the panel. If you choose a "USB" type, you can use any of the 4 connections I have highlighted with "B". Hope this helps!

ninebob that is great.
Mine does look similar but it hasnt got the holes like you have highlighted at A.

It does have the ones like in box B.

It also has the ones like the three immediately above your box B.

There are two others which on my computer are with the ones that are like the ones above your box B.
They are the same type of hole though and are not like the holes in your box A.

Everything else is as your picture.

The keyboards that I had borrowed looked like they would have fitted into your box A.

The plugs in box b appear to be USB, the three directly above are for the speakers, line (cd player etc) and microphone input.

OK,

Dell did start dropping PS/2 ports off pc's a good while ago (A in the pic)

Green being mouse and purple is keyboard.

One thing you can check is the location of the wireless receiver and if anything like monitors, wireless access points etc are in close proximity, i have seen mobile phones conflict too. Try moving it and see if it helps.

Which model of Logitech keyboard and mouse is it? Do you have their drivers installed? You should have got a green cd with the keyboard.

Jon.

thank you. Our mobile phones sit right next to the computer stuff in general so I will move those.

I did get a cd and I have started to install it now. (how did it all work without this being done until now???)

actually guys... I wont understand so dont reply to that! :oops:

There are loads of numbers on the mouse base and keyboard underside... I will hunt out the paper work for when we bought it for pertinent numbers.
I really appreciate this help from all who have replied...
The diagram really helped to explain things. Thanks for not making me feel a fool for not knowing the various bits.

Toffee, if you don't have the ports I highlighted "A" then your only option for a replacement keyboard and/or mouse is to buy one which states it is "USB" compatible.

This is not a bad thing in itself, although I am surprised to learn Dell have discontinued PS/2 ports. The pic I posted was the back of my 2003 Dell (well, lifted from the net but absolutely identical!)

The advice about mobile phones and other interference is good, but if you still can't get your gear to behave, corded is the way to go. You need to buy a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, which can plug into any of the rectangular sockets I labelled B. You'll probably find your printer is in one of these already, this is fine, and possibly your broadband modem too. If you're running out of holes you'll even find another two on the front at the bottom!

JonD said:
I have a Dell workstation but have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse which has been absolutely perfect which was shipped with it at my choice.

I also have logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on 2 different pc's and they are fine. If they fail to register with the pc (which has only happened a couple of times in 2 years) just 2 buttons to push and they are sorted. I wouldn't go back to corded now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back