Cordless caulk gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got 7 upvc windows to fit, 2 doors and the a new kitchen/ bathroom to do.

I’m ok with silicone and getting a neat finish, but what drives me mad is that I must have gone through about a dozen sealant/caulking guns and the never last particular long before they break.

I see Dewalt do a 18v caulk gun, DCE580. I already have many dewalt tools so I’d just need a bare version, but does anyone have any experience with using the dewalt or other cordless caulk guns?

At £250 it ain’t cheap, but if it makes life a lot easier and saves time in use then I’m not against spending the money.

Therefore any hands on experience/feedback welcomed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've used the ryobi gun for many years. One of the most useful tools for lots of masticing. The only issue is that it don't take pro-sized cartridges - which need to have a bit cut off the end of the tube to fit.

Guns won't magically give you a nice smooth joint, you still need some skill and smooth action, but once you've practiced results can be great.

Thanks Woody. The dewalt one comes with a 600ml tube and then the 300ml is an extra. I never even knew they did silicone sausages before researching this tool!

I feel an FFX order coming on :D

Of course if you pay a bit more for caulking guns than B&Q charge, and buy a heavier duty gun such as a Tajima, Cox heavy duty, Ox heavy duty or the like (£20 to £30) your gun will last a lot longer. And it won't cost £250

Sponsored Links
Of course if you pay a bit more for caulking guns than B&Q charge, and buy a heavier duty gun such as a Tajima, Cox heavy duty, Ox heavy duty or the like (£20 to £30) your gun will last a lot longer. And it won't cost £250
Yeah I’ve had some of the ‘heavy duty’ guns and they’re no better that the cheap ones in my experience...although I can’t say I’ve tried those makes specifically.

Do they "retract" in some way when you leave go of the trigger to stop the stuff oozing out like on the manual ones if you don't take the pressure off?

I'm on my second Tajima. The previous one lasted about 4 years, which as an ex-interior fit joiner isn't bad I don't think. I've used the electric guns a few times (generally Makita) and whilst they are particularly good for viscous materials (e.g. Soudal all weather sealants, anchor resin, etc) the price has always put me off - especially because if you are crap with a hand caulking gun you'll be twice as fast and therefore crap a lot faster with a powered gun

Yeah I’ve had some of the ‘heavy duty’ guns and they’re no better that the cheap ones in my experience...although I can’t say I’ve tried those makes specifically.

Cost isn't the only factor though. You may find a higher thrust ratio will help.

I purchased the Cox Powerflow Caulking Gun (£20) for working with thick MS polymers. Some are so thick that I had to use two hands when working with my old guns.

https://www.toolstation.com/cox-powerflow-caulking-gun/p66651

It has a thrust ratio of 12:1, which compares to 7:1 for the standard cox easiflow gun. Personally I find it too fast for working with silicone but I am a slow coach.

BTW Cox make a range of electric guns that you may not have seen elsewhere

https://www.coxdispensers.com/cox-products/battery

----------- edit

The powerflow is cheaper at Axminster

https://www.axminstertools.com/cox-powerflow-sealant-gun-951046

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back