Cordless drill advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 20 years of occasional service, my old (B&Q corded 600W) hammer drill bit the dust, following some abuse I gave it over-drilling a tree stump (lesson learned).

I'm now looking for a replacement, and figured cordless now seems to be the way to go. However, there seem to be lots of different types of drill, and at this point I'm stuck.

What I'm after really is a multi-purpose drill, for (very) occasional DIY use around the house. Mainly wood and plaster I guess, with occasional use in masonry (maybe 4-8 holes in brick/mortar per year based on previous usage).

I'd ideally like something that will last another 20 years, to save me having to write posts like this, though I suspect batteries will let me down here. I don't know if it's feasible, but I'm also considering getting a cordless strimmer, so wonder if it's worth while trying to get something where the batteries can interchange between the two - no big deal if not.

Can anyone recommend:
- The type of drill I should be looking at (hammer, impact, combi)
- What I should look out for in a cordless drill
- Good brands for the DIYer
- Any specific models to consider

Finally, with the cordless drills, if the battery does run out, can you plug in an use it from the power, or do you have to wait for the battery to recharge?

Any advice appreciated :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
first you have to decide if you want to pay £50 or £500

then you have to decide how much you want to use it, what for, and whether an electrical socket will be available. An 18v combi cordless will tackle the jobs you describe, unless your holes in walls are for anything bigger than a shelf or curtain rail.

the batteries in a cordless will last a few years, and you will then throw the tool away, even though it is not worn out. The amount you paid will have little influence on this.

Try to go for one with two batteries so you do not get stuck half way through a job, while the latest Li-lon drills are faster charging and hold a charge in storage better than the old ni-cad ones the give no warning before stopping with the old ones you got a warning that it was slowing down and could usually coax it to finish the job. The new ones stop and that's your lot, down the ladder and wack it on the charger for an hour or so!:evil:
That's why you need two and they are much cheaper bought with the drill than separately.
Go for the biggest Ah you can get it will run longer on each charge.

as a DIYer, I've been annoyed by having batteries fail while the tool is fine, so I've had cordless own-brands and not yet had one go wrong. The cheap tools usually have a 2-year guarantee, so if you buy one at the start of a project, you're likely to get your money's worth.

I gave some to a yotty friend who runs them off the boat battery with a wanderlead. they are very light that way, and cost-free.

Sponsored Links
Cordless drills have to run on the battery - no mains option I'm afraid.
No battery will last 20 years. They age even if unused. Expect 5 - 10 years depending on usage, storage conditions and quality.
I doubt any cordless 'diy' drill will last 20 years except maybe Ryobi. Cheap ones will die young.

The closest cordless 'equivalent' to what you had is the combi - preferably an 18V one. An impact driver is totally unsuitable for your needs.

In your position, I think a replacement mains one may be your best bet - you are going to have to spend quite a lot to get something with the quality you seem to wish for and cordless tools are substantially more expensive than mains ones.

Have a look at a Dewalt 796M2. It's a good little drill driver with a fair bit of power. Aim for 3aH or preferably 4aH batteries; the 2aH or less are too underpowered.

Or stick with a corded drill for cheapness

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As mentioned. Gold all rounder cordless drills can cost a few quid. My Makita DHP481 will cost you £150ish new without batteries, charger or case.

A budget might help give some insight.

Try to go for one with two batteries so you do not get stuck half way through a job, while the latest Li-lon drills are faster charging and hold a charge in storage better than the old ni-cad ones the give no warning before stopping with the old ones you got a warning that it was slowing down and could usually coax it to finish the job. The new ones stop and that's your lot, down the ladder and wack it on the charger for an hour or so!:evil:
That's why you need two and they are much cheaper bought with the drill than separately.
Go for the biggest Ah you can get it will run longer on each charge.

You don't need two lithium batteries for light DIY use. Even the standard 3ah would last days with light use and theres no memory build up so they can be recharged at the end of the day without issue.

as a DIYer, I've been annoyed by having batteries fail while the tool is fine, so I've had cordless own-brands and not yet had one go wrong. The cheap tools usually have a 2-year guarantee, so if you buy one at the start of a project, you're likely to get your money's worth.

I gave some to a yotty friend who runs them off the boat battery with a wanderlead. they are very light that way, and cost-free.

Presumably nicad. Lithium will last a long long time in comparison. I have a Makita lithium that's years old and works fine.

Cordless drills have to run on the battery - no mains option I'm afraid.
No battery will last 20 years. They age even if unused. Expect 5 - 10 years depending on usage, storage conditions and quality.
I doubt any cordless 'diy' drill will last 20 years except maybe Ryobi. Cheap ones will die young.

The closest cordless 'equivalent' to what you had is the combi - preferably an 18V one. An impact driver is totally unsuitable for your needs.

In your position, I think a replacement mains one may be your best bet - you are going to have to spend quite a lot to get something with the quality you seem to wish for and cordless tools are substantially more expensive than mains ones.
I'm interested in why you think a ryobi drill will outlast others? They can however provide a drill and strummer using the same battery which is a big plus.

To the OP, if you are set on cordless go for something with either an 18 or 20v (basically apart from marketing they are the same) lithium ion battery. I'd recommend going for the one with the most torque for what you want to spend. It sounds like you would never use the drill enough to justify the expenditure on a more expensive Makita or Bosch Blue (professional), but spend what you can afford/justify as more expensive generally is better (law of diminishing returns may apply though). Perhaps you could post some which you are considering for members to run their eye over?

Name a tool big brand tool company in 2017 that can't.

I wasn't aware that the OP was only looking for big brands especially considering they are replacing a B&Q drill, but since you ask I've never come across a Stanley 18v strimmer :). Certainly where I live Makita and DeWalt (for example) strimmers aren't easy to come by either, unlike Ryobi which are available in Homebase and Bosch which are in both Homebase and B&Q from memory.

To the OP, if you are looking to use a common battery system it is maybe worth considering which strimmer is best as well?

I'm interested in why you think a ryobi drill will outlast others?
Simply because they are pitched at the heavy diy / light trade level and we have trade people here who happily use Ryobi without issues which suggests that they are built to last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back