Cordless Drill Spec's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm a student doing a CAD project and have to do some research to see whether my drill meets requirements of people who would use it.

------------------------------------------

My Drill Proposal

Power

As I want my cordless drill to be powered for as long as possible its going to be powered by a Lithium-ion 20V 4Ah battery. If the drill is not used, and stored with excess battery power. The leakage of power will be minimal, as it is Lithium. It is also a light weight battery choice, so the light battery will ensure for a more comfortable drill.

Torque

12 torque settings. 600 in-lbs of maximum torque / 68 Nm.

Chuck

The chuck fastening will be unusual. It will be controlled via the microprocessor through the LCD screen. When the user needs to change the drill bit, they will select what drill bit they require, then the chuck will open the automatically to the correct size for the bit. This option can easily be de-activated and alternatively controlled via the bezelled grasp next to the chuck. This design will make the drill more compact, light weight and easier to operate (no key to lose).

Speed

Variable speed controller via a trigger button operate. Speeds 0-400,0-1200,0-2000. Controlled via a click-wheel on the trigger button for easy access, clockwise for higher speeds, anti-clockwise for lower speeds. OR via the LCD display.

Weight

I’m aiming for my drill to approximately, 1.5Kg. It will be the lightest drill on the market. This will increase awareness of the product by being ‘The lightest cordless drill of it’s kind’.
And also be comfortable to be used for excessive periods of time.

Eronmics

As well as weight, drills which are designed more ernomic will be easier to use for long periods of time. The professional user will aqiure a drill which is comfortable. So far I have not been able to attain the average male or female hand span size. So I will take the measurements from present drills and access their ernomic quality. Then make any adjustments in design development of my own drill specification.

LCD display

This is the central processing screen. Everything from changing the drill bit to accessing what the battery levels are to activating the drill navigation unit is done here. It will be a touch screen 2.5-inch screen with voice recognition.

The screen would be extremely durable, waterproof, dustproof and scratchproof.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you buy this? I still have to finish off the drawing and so some modifications to the spec's, unless you disagree?

Sponsored Links
chrisray said:
The screen would be extremely durable, waterproof, dustproof and scratchproof.

But probably not builderproof :LOL:

This sounds like something out of a Jimmy Bond movie, or Star Trek TNG. I think there will be very few people willing to pay extra for a drill with an onboard CPU and voice recognition? What are you supposed to say to it? "faster, faster" "STOOOOPPPP" and whats to stop some joker creeping up behind you onsite and shouting "hammer action, ON" when you're screwing in plasterboard.

If you insist on an LCD screen, put it on the charger, not the drill, but the ideal drill should be bombproof, lightweight, powerful and with an 'all day long' battery. The rest is fluff.

i commend you on your efforts ;)
my thoughts----

is the light weight going to be achieved in such a powerful package !!!
usually you up the power and beef up the components to cope
or use lighter stronger materials at a greater cost!!!

i personally think your lcd screen would have little practical use apart from the battery level and posing value ;)

your drive mechanism to open and shut the chuck a brilliant idea
but will add weight [sperate motor!!]and complications[something else to fail]
assuming its a hammer drill this is likely to be a way to hostile enviroment for electronics[extreme dust and vibration]!!!

please take my comments as positive as thats the way there meant :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
i commend you on your efforts ;)
my thoughts----

is the light weight going to be achieved in such a powerful package !!!
usually you up the power and beef up the components to cope
or use lighter stronger materials at a greater cost!!!

i personally think your lcd screen would have little practical use apart from the battery level and posing value ;)

your drive mechanism to open and shut the chuck a brilliant idea
but will add weight [sperate motor!!]and complications[something else to fail]
assuming its a hammer drill this is likely to be a way to hostile enviroment for electronics[extreme dust and vibration]!!!

please take my comments as positive as thats the way there meant :D :D ;)

As students we had to prepare a design specification. My tutor didn't say anything about cost, so to be honest..lcd screen, laser sensors etc, this wasn't based on cost. However I know in the real world, the world this drill is designed for, there is cost involved. I know I would probably go out of business within minutes of releasing it but I would aim to sell for approximately £150-£250.

The LCD wasn't aimed anything at posing. I am greatful for your comments, it was merely to attain the level of the battery precisely, check the distances to the wall/make sure the hole wasn't being precisely, and be a new way to change the drill bits.

On my conclusion I will add that considering the cost of the drill, I did forget that most professionals can change drill bits with ease and the only people who might want to use this feature are amature's. Drill an un-precise hole, again is probably more common with less-skilled users. It may be used with higher skilled people as well, though I guess it would depend on exactly the size of the hole needed and the material that is being drilled.

If this specification doesn't suit your requirements? What would you prefer to see/or to see less of for the money?

cost isnt the most important issue value for money is

you have recognise most off the important features ergenomic design high capacity battery and lightness ;)

other major considerations are-----
if you drop it will it still work!!!!!

will it be compatable with other machines [in the present and future ranges]!!!!

aaannnndddd the posing male ego thing deffinatly comes into play :D :D ;)

chrisray said:
I know I would probably go out of business within minutes of releasing it but I would aim to sell for approximately £150-£250.

My Bosch drill cost £350.

The LCD wasn't aimed anything at posing. I am greatful for your comments, it was merely to attain the level of the battery precisely, check the distances to the wall/make sure the hole wasn't being precisely, and be a new way to change the drill bits.

My bosch already has a pretty accurate battery level indicator

On my conclusion I will add that considering the cost of the drill, I did forget that most professionals can change drill bits with ease and the only people who might want to use this feature are amature's.

Most profesionals use the SDS drill bit system, removing the need to tighten / untighten chucks. Its quicker to change bits, and the SDS system allows quicker drilling (especially in hard substrates)

If you are aiming this drill at the pro market then SDS would be a major plus point.

When my Makita cordless stops, I pop in a fresh battery and put the dead one on charge. I have no need for an indicator at all.
To be honest, mine does everything I ever need and does it well. Maybe it could be a little lighter but a 3Ah Ni-Mh battery is pretty heavy anyway.
I don't see any need for a fancy chuck - by the time you've dialed in what size you want you could have the next bit in and working.
Let's be sensible here; the brains at dewalt, makita, bosch etc etc have already looked into this and come up with the best package so far. Alright the Lithium Ion battery is coming, but at the minute it's still very expensive. Maybe you could add something like this to your conclusion. That's the common sense answer.

gcol said:
Let's be sensible here; the brains at dewalt, makita, bosch etc etc have already looked into this and come up with the best package so far. Alright the Lithium Ion battery is coming, but at the minute it's still very expensive. Maybe you could add something like this to your conclusion. That's the common sense answer.

i would agree with you fully gcol ;)

unfortunatly if there course work was based on the tried and trusted they would get a very poor score :D :D ;)

they need the inovative ideas to get any recognition :rolleyes:

big-all said:
gcol said:

i would agree with you fully gcol ;)

unfortunatly if there course work was based on the tried and trusted they would get a very poor score :D :D ;)

they need the inovative ideas to get any recognition :rolleyes:

I can understand that fancy probably isn't the best scheme to have. But I just reached from things I thought i'd use myself. I understand what gcol is saying, though I will still propose the drill battery level indicator. Basically cause its a new feature.. as we had to aim to design something that hadn't already been designed.

How do you better the best? I will add this to my conclusion though.

Thankyou for your time.

hows about the feasability of combining an impact driver mechanism witha normal hammer drill!!!!!!

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_RYOBID1801M_BID1801M_Ryobi18vCordlessImpactDriverToolOnly.htm

or perhaps working on reducing the overall length to allow accsess to tighter areas as angle drivers dont have hammer facilitys
motor and gearbox piggyback style :rolleyes:

http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=DW960K2&ID=3741

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back