Cordless Drill Driver recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stayed away from cordless tools but got completely fed up boarding my attic with an old drill and a a hand screw driver. I don't need anything for masonry work - I'll use the corded one for that. Just a convenient drill/driver with an easy change chuck for switching between countersinks / drill bits etc. Is it worth waiting for Lithium Ion batteries to get more common?

Sponsored Links
I have just checked the spec and the 12v has 50% more torque than the 9.6v so it may be worth getting the 12v. :cool:

Sponsored Links
I've stayed away from cordless tools but got completely fed up boarding my attic with an old drill and a a hand screw driver. I don't need anything for masonry work - I'll use the corded one for that. Just a convenient drill/driver with an easy change chuck for switching between countersinks / drill bits etc. Is it worth waiting for Lithium Ion batteries to get more common?

Get this. High torque. Made by Kress and an angle drill too. The only drill made by anyone with his functionality.

The Wickes (Kress) drill for £99 is £70 less than an angle drill by Makita, DeWalt, etc and it is also a high torque normal drill/driver. If I was in the market for a cordless drill.driver, I would buy the Kress as you get the angle function for free. Hex screwdriver bits go straight into the body when the chuck is taken off (2 secs to remove), same with the angle attachment. Seconds to put on and hex bits into the attachment or the chuck slipped on. It gets is tighter than a Makita/DeWalt angle drill. This drill is a class act.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167237

167237-ab0-00co_medium.jpg

An SDS is best for hammer. I find battery drills a waste of time.

The Kress offers a drill/driver and an angle drill all in one. One of these and an SDS drill and that is most of your dill functionality in two drills.

An SDS is best for hammer. I find battery drills a waste of time.

What about an SDS battery drill ? :confused:

For light drilling and mainly screw driving, then the 12v Makita or similar Bosch are ideal as they are very light and well balanced.

Anything bigger is OK for a few holes, but a pain for lots of screws

For 6.5mm holes for brown plugs the hilti I linked is better than an sds drill. I have many variations of sds drill, they cannot drill that particular hole as fast as that particular Hilti, it is a gem. Makes any other small battery pistol drill out to be an ALDI one week special.

What about an SDS battery drill ? :confused:

I find battery SDS drills limited. A 1000w 2kg SDS is very nice. I don't have the Kress drill as I have a full compliment of tools, but if I needed a battery angle drill I would get that Kress at £99 and it is also a great high torque drill/driver too. It is as a class act. Look at one in Wickes.

As In say If I was starting from scratch I would go for the Kress and a mains SDS. And after them an Impact Driver.

Then you don't have enough experience.

Believe me I do!!! You must be drilling in breeze block all day with that Hilti. When you come across concrete or hard brick the SDS will coast through while your battery drill will be just turning and getting hot. What do they cost?

Shall I explain? Ok.

I think what Paul was getting at is that a cordless drill will be able to take on a 6.5mm hole easily, plus has the advantage of being CORDLESS! You'd be a nutter to lug an SDS about for bog standard 'plug n screw' applications.

Anyway the OP asked about drill/drivers, with which he has no intention of using on masonry. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back