cordless rip saw, which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a couple of rip saws on ebay, batteries could be stuffed. But I need something cordless to construct a shed very soon. Fair amount of 2x4, 2x3, 22mm chipboard, ply, gather board etc.

Ones a Makita 18v, 2 x 2.6amp NiMh batteries and the other is a GKS24v Bosch, only one battery, probably NiMh.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd steer clear of them all. Prefer corded.
When you consider the time spent faffing around with uncharged batteries and looking for power points on site and the frost doing them in when left in the van its just not worth it. That my opinion anyway.
We always carry a generator and sometimes two.

if you are building a shed i would go for a miter saw a circ saw

it is so easy on a miter saw to cut 2 20 or 200 components exactly the same with exact square edges with a length stop not so easy with a circular saw
i could cut 10 identical components in time you cut one badly with a circular saw

i used a chop saw a circular saw and a jigsaw for my workshop all can be seen here
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

I have both corded and cordless circular saws, I only really use the cordless for notching joists as when you try to use it for panels, etc it goes through batteries faster than you can charge them up.

Sponsored Links
I have both corded and cordless circular saws, I only really use the cordless for notching joists as when you try to use it for panels, etc it goes through batteries faster than you can charge them up.
The answer to that is to go to 18 volt lithium batteries (3 Ah). I'm on Makita (BSS611) and the charger takes about 22 minutes so it will keep up with the tool, however when I was on NiMHs the charger couldn't keep up with the saw!

The answer to that is to go to 18 volt lithium batteries (3 Ah). I'm on Makita (BSS611) and the charger takes about 22 minutes so it will keep up with the tool, however when I was on NiMHs the charger couldn't keep up with the saw!

It is an 18v 3.0ah battery in a makita circ saw, you must work slower than me - lol

I agree. Same Makita kit here. Never found it a problem.

It is an 18v 3.0ah battery in a makita circ saw, you must work slower than me - lol
Probably not. I'm obviously not cutting down green oak 10 x 2s like you, though! :rolleyes: The only job to really put any strain on it was framing out the toilest in a large pub/restaurant - 4 x 2 CLS - and then I needed 3 batteries, but most of the time I catch up because I've got to put the stuff up once I've cut it.......

Mainly used for cutting down sheets of 18mm & 25mm ply
i have the dewalt 18v plunge saw and its the best easiest saw to cut boards with
2 pencil marks where you want to cut lay on the track and go 20 seconds max per accurate cut

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/dewalt-18v-plunge-saw-and-rail-t20512.html[/QUOTE]
Yes, but at what price, BA? Did you know that the Bosch GKS18VN cordless can be guided on their rail system and costs a lot less? Personally I don't need a rail for use with a cordless saw most of the time - my main uses are investigation/rip-out/demolition, rough breaking down and cutting studs (for which a Speed Square will suffice). In any case the DW requires a 2-hand grip, doesn't it?

i actually paid 235 for the saw and 2 tracks [saw 100 tracks 100 plus vat]
as i already have 10 batteries so never run out lol

dewalt%20battery%20004.jpg

that didnt work then what am i dooing wrong :eek: :eek: :D

dewalt%20battery%20004.jpg

that didnt work then what am i dooing wrong :eek: :eek: :D
Errr you can't use a document on your C: drive as an image????..........

DEWS520K.jpg

Seriously, though, that's a good price for a DC352KB. I've generally seen them around £330 with a couple of batteries, a charger and a rail. Doesn't change the fact that they're still a two handed saw, though

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
i assume you mean the other hand to hold the track as belt and braces ??
was more expensive last time i looked but still less than £150

got it from its london

ORDER HISTORY

Below are listed your previous orders. If you have recently placed an order it will take a bit of time for it to appear here.
Date Item Count Value Progress Details
06/01/2009 3 £24.44 Dispatched Details
15/06/2009 4 £237.82 Dispatched Details
Below are listed the items contained within your order.

Quantity Value Description
2 £99.90 Dewalt 1.5m Guide Rail
1 £99.95 Dewalt 18v Cordless Plunge Saw (Tool Only)
1 £6.95 Dewalt Connector Piece

Errr you can't use a document on your C: drive as an image????..........

i havent got a clue
i managed to transfer some pictures to photobucket dont know how i managed havent got a clue lol
i then tried just transfer to some more to---well anywhere but couldnt lol
any ideas :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back