Core drill and SDS?

I bought a cheap SDS from Argos, specifically for core drilling. It has done a Stirling job of making 110mm holes for air vents in a rubble stone wall.

Points to note from my experience:
1. Make absolutely sure the drill has a clutch if you don't want broken wrists.
2. Let the drill take the strain, don't force it, take your time.
3. The drill is heavy, if you can support it, do it.
4. Goggles and ear defenders are essential!
5. A work platform is very useful if you are at any height.
6. For a neat finish start the drilling from both sides of the wall (it only needs to be a start on one side).

Sponsored Links
I have a Makita 240v and a Milwaukee M18-CHPS which are both capable of 117mm cores. Can't remember when the corded one last came out of the van.

They might be capable of it, but I'm reasonably sure they will only be rated as safe up to about 80mm

Edit: Checked the CHPX and the manual states 75mm max. I have a 3kg class Milwaukee corded which is rated at 85mm according to the printed manual. The rating is really down to the protection that the clutch affords

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what you're drilling. If it's not something like engineering bricks as a one off you can bodge through with most bits and pieces - I've managed a few 125mm cores through normal house bricks with my 18v DeWalt.

Sponsored Links
Most important thing is that whatever you decide to use it has a working clutch or your wrists will be in danger of breaking.
On occasions I have use my makita sds to core through bricks without much problems.
As long as you go slow, don't put much pressure and your core bit is of good quality, you won't have any problem.
Then if you're coring breeze blocks you can even use your battery powered drill and go through them like butter.
Never, ever use hammer action when coring.

I purchased a Titan to break some mortar/cement. It was cheap, it did the job. I then used it to drill a core for a soil pipe. Again it did the job.

It does seem to have "some kind" of clutch, whilst drilling the core it grabbed, stopped spinning and made clicking noises. Fortunately I was holding it securely and not applying much pressure (largely because I was unsure if it had a clutch). On another occasion, I will trying to drill out a metal gate hinge buried in brickwork, it grabbed and no clutch kicked in. My wrist hurt for a couple of days.

with the ‘cheap’ Titan drill. Call mine the beast, as it does all the dirty jobs.

for some strange reason mine is called "Big Bertha".

The clutch on a Makita 2046 diamond core drill slips at about the same torque as a 2-3kg SDS. 110mm can be a struggle with either, ime.
Cordless SDS for waste pipes etc is absolutely fine.

My wife bought me this when I needed to drill some concrete for anchor bolts. Went through the concrete like butter.

Titan TTB278SDS 6.3kg Electric SDS Plus Drill & 9 Piece Accessory Kit 230-240V | SDS Drills | Screwfix.com

Took it into work the other day as I was putting some signage up on the outside wall and my little DeWalt was not man enough. Manager saw my Titan and immediately oredered one for our tool cupboard. Must admit, I've not done any core drilling with it and yes, you can turn the hammer action off and you also get a keyed chuck with the sds shaft.
I think it's a bargain for the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back