core drill recomendations please......

The Bosch is £500, my budget is around £200 - is there anything better than the Makita in that price range?

Sponsored Links
Second hand? You won't get anything at £200 - the trade tools seem to start in the region of £250 to £300, but at that level you won't get dial in speed or (probably) reverse. I have an Atlas-Copco (now sold as Milwaukee DD2-160) which is lacking these facilities (I don't use it on a daily basis, so I live with it), but so are the Marcrist DDM150 (£320 or so) and the Metabo BDE1100 (£270 or so).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just for DIY use so I suppose I can manage with basic features. I should be able get the Makita new around £220 with eBay Black Friday discounts (but I'll keep an open mind for the others). I know on paper the Makita looks pretty basic and low powered, but they've been selling it for 20 years!

The main thing wrong with the basic 8406 is that it is at 800 watts somewhat low powered for larger cores (i.e above 100mm). Pretty much every other manufacturer has drills around 1100 watts or above. Makita must have realised this because they introduced a revised, more powerful version, the 8406/C which boasts 1400 watts and now has a dial-in speed setting in the handle, but still no reverse. The downside is that the price is over £300

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I've got the marcist ddm2 run there pc850 percussion diamond core bits great bit of kit but pricey.
One of my sub contractors has the ddm1 paid around £260 ,for it he rates it highly having had the Dewalt and makita before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back