Core Drilling hole proximity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

My project is to properly vent my cooker hood to the outside (currently using charcoal). I want to avoid drilling at the kitchen ceiling height as this would take chunk out of the nice white window lintel and/or the metal rain run off. So I've opted to use the floor cavity (white) above instead.

However, there is a large 4x8" beam in the way which means the furthest from the wall I could drill is directly below the toilet waste hole.

I could drill against the wall in the corner where the mains cable runs (it is being moved prior to this work don't worry) but this seems worse to me somehow.

I would have liked to be further over to the left but that joist would need to be cut which opens its own can of worms...

So, my question to those with core drilling experience: would these two large holes be too close together, one atop the other as pictured in red, would this be an issue?

DSC_3192.JPG

Regards,
Matthew Bester

Sponsored Links
Short concise answer I like it.

Is this something you do often? How much would you quote (for reference); its about 3m high so it would need coring at height.

Sponsored Links
I only do my own, so don't know how much you would have to pay. I did a 52mm one last week and it took hours, but two skins of Accrington bricks and I don't think my cores are particularly good quality. I guess a local plumber would have a better idea and better equipment.

You could consider knocking a brick out and using rectangular ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back