Core drilling concrete wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to fit a cooker hood in my kitchen & will need to core drill the wall. The wall itself is a fairly loose concrete aggregate, but from working on the same wall upstairs I know there's at least one precast pillar embedded in it, which I'm assuming is steel reinforced.

Clearly I don't want to plough a core drill into steel reinforcement, so I'm wondering what's the best way to locate it before I start? Would a cable detector do the job or wouldn't it go deep enough? Would making a few pilot holes in the area of the intended hole be a good idea, or might it cause problems for the core drill?

Also, the 125mm ducting kit I'm using specifies a 140mm hole, but the nearest bit I can get is 150mm - is this likely to be ok? (the external face plate is 160x160mm so should cover it).

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back