Core hole.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a 127mm Core hole in preperation for a new boiler. I have a suitable Diamond Core but not sure about the drill to use.
I have a Hilti TE 76 ATC (bit of a monster) but am unsure if this is suitable due to it being a hammer drill.
Any views or suggestions gratefully received..

Thanx

Sponsored Links
If you can turn the hammer action off it will be OK, Diamond core drills should not be used with hammer action. Also worth making sure the drill has a clutch as if the big bits catch they can snap your wrists :(

Jason

The drill only has hammer action and has a very good clutch system.
I have contacted Hilti by e-mail and they have advised me that the TE 76 ATC can be used with percussion cores up to 150mm.
What is the difference between percussion and diamond core bits?

Thanks for any advise

Stinky

Percussion cores have a row of TCT teeth around the cutting edge, Diamond ones have a row of diamond impregnated metal teeth.

Main problem with the percussion is that you need to drill from both sides otherwise there will be a lot of damage on the exit side but they are less expensive than diamond.

Why not go to your local hire shop and hire a drill, arbour and bit, will be cheaper than buying a 127mm bit for one job.

Jason

Sponsored Links
We had a new looking DD 110-D Hilti coring drill hired out today.

Hilti say the core bit range is from 16mm - 162mm.

We had a 100mm core in this machine and it was quite useless.
Heated up quite hot and the thermal overload kicked in.

The great thing about hiring is that you can just phone and ask for an immediate replacement, if the hire company fobs you off then your using the wrong one...pinenot :)

P.S. you didn't say whether the core bit was your's or the hire co's, it may have been the problem, if your's your a very naughty boy :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back