Corgi

joe-90 said:
It's all a load of cobblers. I'm a competent person and I'll do whatever I like.
...And his ghost may be heard as it sings in the Billabong...

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Doesn't seem right though does it, you can blow your own family up!

You can drive them at 70 on a dark wet motorway as well. The nice thing with gas is that you can often smell an accident before it happens.

Gas work is no harder then plumbing, use the right parts and work to the same leak tight principals and if it goes wrong you will smell it pdq. I watched a gas fitter from transco once, I am a lot more careful in my diy than he was in his job

Duties of landlords

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Regulation 36(4) says this:
[code:1]Every landlord shall ensure that any work in relation to a relevant gas fitting or any check of a gas appliance or flue carried out pursuant to paragraphs (2) or (3) above is carried out by, or by an employee of, a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of regulation 3(3) of these Regulations.
[/code:1]

It also specifically defines the terms "landlord", "relevant gas fitting", and every other term that needs defining in this context. It would seem that the law is MUCH tighter for landlords than for owner/occupiers.

So, to answer petewood's question: yes - it would become illegal; BobProperty: no - you can't just do it when the tenant is out; Diyisfun: CORGI hasn't confirmed anything, they've just agreed with the law; joe: well, what can I say? It was the flow switch.

pickles said:
masona said:

You can drive them at 70 on a dark wet motorway as well. The nice thing with gas is that you can often smell an accident before it happens.

Gas work is no harder then plumbing, use the right parts and work to the same leak tight principals and if it goes wrong you will smell it pdq. I watched a gas fitter from transco once, I am a lot more careful in my diy than he was in his job
That's a foolish viewpoint - how easy is plumbing exactly? Do you know how many deaths are caused by gas leaks and explosions compared to death by CO poisoning? Can you smell CO while you're asleep? Can your children? Do you really think you know everything involved in gas fitting because you WATCHED a gas fitter "once"? Are you an idiot, or just doing an impression of one?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
pickles said:
masona said:

That's a foolish viewpoint - how easy is plumbing exactly? Do you know how many deaths are caused by gas leaks and explosions compared to death by CO poisoning? Can you smell CO while you're asleep? Can your children? Do you really think you know everything involved in gas fitting because you WATCHED a gas fitter "once"? Are you an idiot, or just doing an impression of one?

I'm leaving the idiot impressions to you. Go and have a lie down or alternatively engage your brain before you engage the keyboard

I didn't say I have only ever watched a gas fitter and thats how I know about gas fitting I said I watched one once and he was more careless doing the same work than I would have been.

Plumbing is easy, all you need are the right tools and some basic knowledge all of which are widely available from diy stores and the numerous diy books around. The same applies to gas fitting or for that matter domestic electrics, painting and decorating, kitchen fitting, building walls or anything alse . There are basic rules and provided they are researched and followed and you know your own limitations all of these things can be done to the same standard, and sometimes better than the average tradesperson will do

No I can't smell CO2 by I am relyably informed that my 2 CO2 detectors can and will sound a suitably ear splitting alarm just like my fire alarm system if there is a leak or fire

i just don't know when the people who post in this forum who do these things for a living will accept that what they do is not rocket science and anyone of average intelligence and practical skill can do the majority of this kind of work themselves perfectly safely

No amount of rules and regulations, part P, Corgi neceic or whatever will stop bodgers. The whole point of that mentality is that they pay no attention to rules, regulations, safety or anything else for that matter

I agree with everything Pickles has said.

Corgi is a cartel and little else.

joe

i totally agree with pickles too and i am a reg gas fitter

some of the work i see being done by reg fitters is so lacking in skill wheres the pride in the job gone

corgi is a joke the training to get the ccn1 is a joke there is nothing hard in multiple questions

but and its a big BUT i hope corgi make it illegal for diy gas work soon as i see so many bad jobs

go to any bq on a bank holiday and u will see so many people buying fires cheap < 50 at times they are going to fit it themselves

Softus said:
Duties of landlords

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Regulation 36(4) says this:
[code:1]Every landlord shall ensure that any work in relation to a relevant gas fitting or any check of a gas appliance or flue carried out pursuant to paragraphs (2) or (3) above is carried out by, or by an employee of, a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of regulation 3(3) of these Regulations.
[/code:1]

It also specifically defines the terms "landlord", "relevant gas fitting", and every other term that needs defining in this context. It would seem that the law is MUCH tighter for landlords than for owner/occupiers.

So, to answer petewood's question: yes - it would become illegal; BobProperty: no - you can't just do it when the tenant is out; Diyisfun: CORGI hasn't confirmed anything, they've just agreed with the law; joe: well, what can I say? It was the flow switch.

Softus I wasn't being too serious, but I read parts of the regulations and now need to know the legal interpretation of parts relating to tenants. I think lodgers don't count. I think tenant in context of landlord and gas may cover most tenancies except lodgers but I'll have a read sometime. Further pedantic points about the CORGI email. Does it include adopted children in the definition of family? Would it stop you doing gas work if you merely lived with someone (as opposed to being married to them) or had an "au pair"? :D

pickles said:

Plumbing is easy, all you need are the right tools and some basic knowledge all of which are widely available from diy stores and the numerous diy books around. The same applies to gas fitting or for that matter domestic electrics, painting and decorating, kitchen fitting, building walls or anything alse ...

The right tools like pressure test equipment for gas, electrical test equipment for Part P just the sort of tools all DIYers have or will be getting this Christmas...NOT.

think again baby puppy

bq sell all that is needed to do your diy gas take a look

Slogger said:
think again baby puppy

Would you care to tell us what is needed then? joe-90 needs to know for starters.

The point I made is that most DIYers don't have this equipment, wouldn't buy it (even if it was available in B&Q) and wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

BobProperty said:
Slogger said:
think again baby puppy

Would you care to tell us what is needed then? joe-90 needs to know for starters.

The point I made is that most DIYers don't have this equipment, wouldn't buy it (even if it was available in B&Q) and wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

You may be right but, leaving aside that you can buy this stuff:

a) On the Internet

b) Your local electrical retailer

Britain is not ablaze, houses do not regularily collapse and the streets are not littered with corpses from people doing their own work despite the fact that billions of pounds and man hours are spent every year on diy. On the other hand our roads are littered with the dead and dying and maimed but there is no sign of the government attempting to pass the motoring equivalent of the part P regs to improve attitudes and skills.

All of which which leads me to conclude that these attempts to regulate have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with:-

a) EEC harmonisation, however pointless

b) Response to pressure from trade bodies who want to make money out of it by creating the sort of closed shops immune to competitive pressure which are very bad for ordinary people

As i've said before if electrical safety was really the big issue the government would have to change the operating voltage and cycle ie 50/60hz to something less dangerous to human beings. This would work even with the bodgers who ignore regulations which plainly don't work if you ignore them, they are however a very good source of income because you can use them to fine people for breaches, even if they didn't commit them, which has nothing to do with safety and plenty to do with backdoor taxation

RANT RANT RANT Sorry I will lie down now

I do have some sympathy with some of what you have said. We might not be ablaze but there are a fair number of DIY accidents each year (haven't looked it up but ROSPA I think have the figures).
I agree CORGI is a "paper tiger". Despite problems, poor workmanship etc. no one gets thrown out until they blow a house up and/or kill someone. This I think is the biggest problem. Same will go for Part P electrical work. Until the organisations / governing bodies etc. stop accepting anyone who can pay the admission fee (oh yes, and pass this test please) and start acting for the benefit of the customers and working members then it will continue.
It looks like the law may allow DIY work, but I suspect more by bad design than intention. As we have already discussed on here, your competence is not questioned until something goes wrong.

I've spent plenty of time with gas fitters. Their standard test for a new connection is spit. I've got spit too.
I can even run to Fairy Liquid.

joe

pickles said:
I'm leaving the idiot impressions to you. Go and have a lie down or alternatively engage your brain before you engage the keyboard
OK, fair point - I was in a hurry when I made the last point, so one insult each seems equitable.

pickles said:
I didn't say I have only ever watched a gas fitter and thats how I know about gas fitting I said I watched one once and he was more careless doing the same work than I would have been.
You're quite right - you didn't. I would submit, though, that your paragraph implied it, either deliberately or otherwise.

pickles said:
Plumbing is easy, all you need are the right tools and some basic knowledge all of which are widely available from diy stores and the numerous diy books around. The same applies to gas fitting or for that matter domestic electrics, painting and decorating, kitchen fitting, building walls or anything alse . There are basic rules and provided they are researched and followed and you know your own limitations all of these things can be done to the same standard, and sometimes better than the average tradesperson will do
Well, easy is a relative and subjective term. If you find it easy, then so be it. But to claim that it is easy is, at the very least, a provocative statement.

pickles said:
No I can't smell CO2 by I am relyably informed that my 2 CO2 detectors can and will sound a suitably ear splitting alarm just like my fire alarm system if there is a leak or fire
To be picky, CO2 is not a problem, but CO is.

pickles said:
i just don't know when the people who post in this forum who do these things for a living will accept that what they do is not rocket science and anyone of average intelligence and practical skill can do the majority of this kind of work themselves perfectly safely.
They're entitled to their opinion, as you are to yours. If people aren't learning from you then perhaps there's something wrong with the teacher...

pickles said:
No amount of rules and regulations, part P, Corgi neceic or whatever will stop bodgers. The whole point of that mentality is that they pay no attention to rules, regulations, safety or anything else for that matter
Well, as with any law in this country, the aim is not to stop but to markedly reduce. This is one in a series of generalisations from you, and you give no sign of having read the very specific and rational debate that has made up most of this topic.

Sponsored Links
Back