Corgi

oilman said:
You seem to have a problem understanding things. YOU CAN ONLY DO WORK ON A GAS APPLIANCE IN THE COURSE OF A BUSINESS IF BOTH YOU AND THE BUSINESS IS REGISTERED UNDER A GOVERNMENT APPROVED SCHEME.

Am I getting through?

What if you are not doing work as a business? Are you allowed to be incompetent and blow up your neighbourhood?

Well?

joe

Sponsored Links
I suggest you look up the term competant in the wording of the legislation, it does not mean the normal everyday dictionary definition, it is defined according to the legislation, by the legislation for use in accordance with the legislation.

christ hes on a roll tonight isnt he

Thermo said:
I suggest you look up the term competant in the wording of the legislation, it does not mean the normal everyday dictionary definition, it is defined according to the legislation, by the legislation for use in accordance with the legislation.

Competent means competent. I cannot be charged in a court of law for following the Queens English.

"This appliance must be installed by a 'competent' person.

That means a person who is competent.

It means demonstratively capable.

Gedditt?

joe

Sorry I asked.

But I'm gonna do it again.

How about doing gas work in your own home then, cos i'm pretty sure i would not charge myself.

As to this compentancy thing if you were considering doing it you must think that you are competent, but that dos'nt mean you are.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:

Yes, he is, but however much this pains me Thermo, I believe that the term "competent" is not defined within "The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations 1998", although it's used as follows:

No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

This doesn't mean that joe-90 is right - a quick check out of the window reveals that hell has not yet frozen over.

Going back to the original point, I concur with oilman - someone pretending that they did an hour of gas work for nothing, after having done an hour of water work for money, will get the book thrown at them if they make a mistake and end up in court.

Think competent Gas person is one who pays his /her dues to corgi and so is allowed to fill in the benchmark with a corgi number. Dont matter then if you blow house up as long as you can write lololol.

confidentincompetent said:
Think competent Gas person is one who pays his /her dues to corgi and so is allowed to fill in the benchmark with a corgi number. Dont matter then if you blow house up as long as you can write lololol.
I don't agree, and I don't find the idea of a gas explosion particularly amusing.

A person registered with CORGI is someone who has had their competence proved by training and assessment, that's all.

This 'accreditation' does not make the person any less culpable, or immune from prosecution, in the event of a negligant act, for example causing a gas escape.

Conversely, someone who is not registered is not assumed to be incompetent, unless they do something that is demonstrably incompetent. However, if they are an employee, or a self-employed person, and have worked on any "gas fitting or gas storage vessel" then they are in direct conravention of SI 1998:2451, and can be prosecuted merely for that.

Note that this does not prevent a householder from working on his own gas appliance - this is not illegal per se, but woe betide him if he makes a mistake of any import.

This argument raged in the electrical industry sometime back when it was argued that there was a total ban on unauthorised persons working on gas yet with electricity being dangerous also(an argument to this was that you can kill far more people with a gas explosion than through shock)
that you only had to be competant in order to carry out work, Part P has gone someway to re-addressing this.

kendor said:
...an argument to this was that you can kill far more people with a gas explosion than through shock)
This is a hollow argument, because it ignores the death, maiming and vast property destruction that can and does result from electrical fires.

Softus said:
Note that this does not prevent a householder from working on his own gas appliance - this is not illegal per se, but woe betide him if he makes a mistake of any import.
Hmm but you still need b/c? Which is usefull when selling house especially as gas appliances are date stamped nowadays. I'm just going on what building regs say in explanotory booklet. Its last years but believe new laws came in this year sayin Only corgi can touch gas.

...believe new laws came in this year sayin Only corgi can touch gas.
I believe that the current Gas Regulations prohibit non-CORGI members from working on gas only if they are employed to do so, hence my reference to "householders" above.

If you have read differently, please could you guide me to the statute, or statutory instrument, that you have read?

Thanks.
S.

Softus said:
...believe new laws came in this year sayin Only corgi can touch gas.
I believe that the current Gas Regulations prohibit non-CORGI members from working on gas only if they are employed to do so, hence my reference to "householders" above.

If you have read differently, please could you guide me to the statute, or statutory instrument, that you have read?

Thanks.
S.
I can only quote what I read from adverts in paper regarding new law re- corgi/ householder bit late to trawl thro odpm site tonight , but this explanotorybooklet in the case of gas appliances; bulding control will apply. Unless you employ an approved corgi self certification bloke. Agree it does't actually state householder can't do it but from the wording it seems to me that any gas fitting comes under the remiss of building control/self certification.
I have'nt bothered looking on odpm as I dont do gas for others and after selling my house last year where I replaced boiler myself ten years ago and questions were asked who installed/serviced etc. with all these revunue making regulations going on I got a corgi boke to fit new boiler in this place. There were several things I didnt like I.E laying primaries in loft ontop of cables etc. Hence my quote; if corgi does it it dont matter if it blows up.

The book is free from council offices, The one I have just now was printed in 203. I'll be interested to see what new book says.

I can only quote what I read from adverts in paper regarding new law re- corgi/ householder bit late to trawl thro odpm site tonight , but this explanotorybooklet in the case of gas appliances; bulding control will apply. Unless you employ an approved corgi self certification bloke. Agree it does't actually state householder can't do it but from the wording it seems to me that any gas fitting comes under the remiss of building control/self certification.
You could build a house out of books and newpapers on this subject, but it still wouldn't contain any relevant information as to the law.

I have'nt bothered looking on odpm...
Well I wouldn't bother looking there (again) either - it has no bearing on what the law says or a court's interpretation of it.

...if corgi does it it dont matter if it blows up.
Er, it always matters if it blows up - I really can't align with your apparantly blasé view on this.

The book is free from council offices, The one I have just now was printed in 203..

Probably quite out of date now, even if it was AD and not BC :D

Yeah well so I can ignore any building control advice and test it in the courts :confused:

If I had lain hot pipes ontop of cables it would be conscider'ed dangerous. If a corgi bloke did it, it would not be checked by others and insurance wise your covered.
Thats my blas'e interpretation on this.

Sponsored Links
Back