Corgi

joe-90 said:
I've spent plenty of time with gas fitters.
The calibre of gas fitter you've been around is a reflection of the company they keep. I very much doubt that any tradesperson on this forum would undertake a job for you.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
So, to answer petewood's question: yes - it would become illegal;
I very much doubt it. Apart from Inland Revenue tax law interpretations, laws and regulations are not retroactive. If you were not a landlord at the time you did the work then you were not breaking the law. Later becoming a landlord doesn't affect what you were in the past.

BobProperty said:
I do have some sympathy with some of what you have said. We might not be ablaze but there are a fair number of DIY accidents each year (haven't looked it up but ROSPA I think have the figures).

Compulsory CORGI membership, and the 1989 Gas Act and its later amendments, has failed to achieve any great reduction in accidents.
The HSE gathered the accident figures together for the purposes of the gas safety review, here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/statistics.htm .

It is clear that while incidents of fire and explosion have stayed level or fallen, the number of carbon monoxide poisonings has risen. One possible interpretation is that with modern technology, such as CO alarms, and oxygen depletion sensors built into larger equipment nowadays, many accidents that would have been fatal are now just 'near misses".

This contrasts sharply with the promises made when compulsory membership was introduced, that it would reduce accidents to near zero levels within a few years.

Also as CO incidents are most often related to poor maintenance (blocked chimneys and unswept flues) it may be that this is a measure of works not done as a consequence of the rising cost of skilled technician time to service equipment - the temptation is certainly there to save a few bob and to stretch the maintenance periods, and sadly a few folk pay the price of over doing it.

And what have the government recently added to the mix? Forcing virtually everybody who has a new boiler to fit a condensing one, thus making the operation a lot more expensive. I have no doubt that this will lead to more dodgy old boilers remaining in service that would otherwise have ben replaced.

But to end on a lighter note:
pickles said:
You can drive them at 70 on a dark wet motorway as well. The nice thing with gas is that you can often smell an accident before it happens.
You can with a car accident too, if enough time elapses between something going wrong and arriving at the scene of the accident...

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
The calibre of gas fitter you've been around is a reflection of the company they keep. I very much doubt that any tradesperson on this forum would undertake a job for you.

I pay - they do as they are told. Simple really.

joe

Is undoubtably the worst organisation we have to deal with. A private company run by the HSE(IMO). Ripping us all off.

A private householder can do whatever he likes to his own gas system, after the meter and is untouchable for the work, competent or not. If it never rebounds on him/her then it remains completely unseen by the regulators.
Any business requiring to do "gas" work has to be trained and qualified by the system Corgi has installed. This is a job creating, money making business that has reduced deaths in the industry but is also reducing the size of the industrys workforce by the excessive costs of the training. Corgi is as much about making money as introducing safe working practices.

AF

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Softus said:
joe-90 said:

joe
Gas Fitters..half of them couldn`t fit a French Letter :rolleyes:

pickles said:
As i've said before if electrical safety was really the big issue the government would...
You may well have said it before, but this is heading way off-topic. Please have the good grace to create a new one if you want to whinge cynically about Part P and spout ignorantly about the factors involved in determining the national domestic operating voltage and frequency.

joe-90 said:
Corgi is a cartel and little else.
[code:1]car·tel Pronunciation Key (kär-tl)
n.
1. A combination of independent business organizations formed to regulate
production, pricing, and marketing of goods by the members.
2. An official agreement between governments at war, especially one
concerning the exchange of prisoners.
3. A group of parties, factions, or nations united in a common cause; a
bloc.

ig·no·ra·mus Pronunciation Key (gn-rms)
n. pl. ig·no·ra·mus·es

An ignorant person.
[/code:1]

ban-all-sheds said:
I very much doubt it. Apart from Inland Revenue tax law interpretations, laws and regulations are not retroactive. If you were not a landlord at the time you did the work then you were not breaking the law. Later becoming a landlord doesn't affect what you were in the past.
Quite right - I stand corrected.

However, a landlord, or even a landlord-in-waiting, cannot issue his/her own gas safety certificate, so a CORGI engineer will be involved between the DIY event and the tenant moving in.

joe-90 said:
Perhaps you are simple, I don't know, but if you pay peanuts then you get monkeys, and all it makes you is a zoo keeper.

BobProperty - take note - this is what could happen to you if you become a property developer.

Ok! so diy are free to do gas work in their own household. But then building control will need a certificate that it has been done competently?? My humble understanding of building control is that the control concerns the premises and a certificate is like an M O T for a car, no M O T and insurance could be negated.

Nite all

confidentincompetent said:
Ok! so diy are free to do gas work in their own household.
Yes.

But then building control will need a certificate that it has been done competently??
No.

My humble understanding of building control is that the control concerns the premises and a certificate is like an M O T for a car, no M O T and insurance could be negated.
Your understanding is wrong. It's persistently amazing that you decline to read the regulations and instead post garbage on this topic that might mislead other readers.

Softus, what an entertaining pre xmas hissy fit you are having in this thread. Will this continue into the new year or is it a pre xmas special

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
Perhaps you are simple, I don't know, but if you pay peanuts then you get monkeys, and all it makes you is a zoo keeper.

BobProperty - take note - this is what could happen to you if you become a property developer.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. The average Corgi cartel worker in an uneducated manual worker. Live with it.

joe

ok may have been explianed but when topics. get so long they become pointless.

definition of competent person.

26. Competent Persons. A Professional Appraisal shall be carried out under
the guidance of, and certificates shall be signed by competent persons. A
competent person shall:
a. be a Chartered Engineer (Corporate Member of the Institutions of Civil
or Structural Engineers, registered with the Engineering Council), and;
b. have a minimum of six years relevant experience in the design and
construction of the type and complexity of the structure involved.
The Appraisal Certificate (Form R101) is to be certified by a competent
person within the same design team organisation.
The Appraisal Check Certificate (Form R102) is to be certified by a
competent person independent of the design team within the same
organisation.
The Appraisal Statement (Form R103) is to be signed by a competent person.

tada.
ok this is for a structural inspection, but is enforceable under law as a definition. i can quote the case number and court if you like...

dabaldie said:
ok may have been explianed but when topics. get so long they become pointless.
You ain't seen nuttin yet... http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=4591

definition of competent person.
ok this is for a structural inspection, but is enforceable under law as a definition. i can quote the case number and court if you like...
But it's only for structural inspections.

And does it apply only to Scotland?

Legal definitions can be created at any time - the point is that mostly they haven't been...

Sponsored Links
Back