Coring 100mm hole above a window lintel for an Extract fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I have been searching for clarification on if you can core a hole above a lintel in a bathroom for an extract fan to be installed?

I have been told "no you cannot", but I feel that there must be a minimum distance where you can core a hole, 1000mm above perhaps?

Problem is I can find no legislation on this matter.

Thanks in Advance!

Sponsored Links
One of the main reasons you can not cut a hole directly above a modern steel lintel is there is an upstand of steel preventing you from doing so.

Another factor could be that if the window was close to the eaves you may cause much disruption to the masonry.

The obvious thought is though why would you want an extractor terminal right next to the window in any case? :confused:

Have you thought about venting vertically via a tile vent terminal, or if the soffit/eaves detail allows, loop the vent pipe over the wall plate and through the soffit board.

I bet that having waffled on above, that the window is to a downstairs bathroom? :rolleyes: :LOL:

the bathroom is downstairs in a 1970's house, but can I just clarify that it is against building regs to do this?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input.

I just wanted clarification if it was ok or not ok in principal to core above a lintel.

I have been told by a number of people that it IS ok.

As mentioned there may be factors that prevent you from coring a hole above a lintel, Space available probably being the biggest factor as you cannot obviously core through a lintel or as someone mentioned, an up stand of steel.

What further information would you require to enable a concise response?

Also to add: if it is a fairly modern property there is the likelihood that a cavity tray exists above the aperture.

If there are weepholes visible on the perp's directly above the window then you would say there is a CT present.

Would you say then as a general rule of thumb, maybe best to avoid, as you don't quite know what could be there or, is it more or less possible to get an accurate idea that it is or is not possible depending on what you can visibly see?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back