corner beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Need some advice please, i ve now got to a wall with a window recently had new windows and fitted i ve bonded up the damage to old plaster now i want to skim this wall.

I take it i will need to use angle corner beads?

If so is there a certain one i should be using ?

they are going onto old plaster can i use some multi to stick them to the wall or use the proper stuff?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's just a skim coat over the wall, you'll need "thin coat beading" for the window reveals. I normally (always) put them on with small headed 25mm galvanised nails, (a stronger fix), but you can bed them on with multi. If you go down the nail route,, hammer them in carefully, and angle the nail "away" from the reveal corner.

i'm with you RC, except i use only 20mm clouts, JUST enough to hold and not too much to have to hammer into brickwork too far, always worried about knocking the existing corners off :D

gripfill as an alternative though, and if the angles are out and the beads won't sit naturally tight to the edges the knock a couple of clouts JUSt in to hold them for half an hour till they set then pull 'em out.

staple gun SOMETIMES works but depends on what the substrate is.

Good tip using the staple gun TM ;) ,,,, i've not used it myself though.
I always think that if you fix a thin coat bead with multi, onto a solid corner, it might come loose if it gets a knock.

Sponsored Links
i use a staple gun on board and multi on solid but i used to work with a spread who sometimes stuck them on with scrim

Thanks guys, I got some 20mm clouts but it was cracking the old plaster so i used some multi as well.

If the clouts are cracking the old plaster would I be better off using just multi ?

Yes you would if its causing the corner to break away ,just make sure its well seated and you have an even amount the whole length of the bead and dont leave any protruding through the bead or when it goes off it will knock the bead off when you try and remove it

Thanks guys, I got some 20mm clouts but it was cracking the old plaster so i used some multi as well.

If the clouts are cracking the old plaster would I be better off using just multi ?

I've had the same problem as you when I was doing some reveals. For the problem ones I used a bit of dry wall adhesive and it held them on fine.
I also made sure I left none protruding beyond the bead before it set (as wozza suggested).
I set the beads and came back to finish the job next day.

Thanks for the advice guys got it plastered on sunday, used a few 20mm clouts in each bead and a dab of multi left it overnight to set before plastering.

Hasn't come out to bad still a few marks to fill but best wall I've plasters so far, now completed all the walls in the room so have the ceiling to do next got a pair of stilts can wall around in them but not sure i could walk and plaster in them :eek: any tips for the ceiling would be much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back